Travel Pass is not working in thailand
bbarnes11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been in thailand for 3 days with no travel pass.  The international support line does not know how to fix it.  We just switched to prepaid, their advice was to switch back to post paid..... while travel pass worked in post paid this is completely unacceptable.  A ticket was submitted with a turn around time of 3-5 days, this is also unacceptable.  Those are the only options.... is prepaid just a terrible product?

How do we get service?

Re: Travel Pass is not working in thailand
mama23dogs
Legend

do you have funds to pay for it?  Unlike postpaid and very much like prepaid, you must have funds to pay. 

Prepaid TravelPass FAQs | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Bbarnes11, we definitely want to make sure that you are able t stay connected with your TravelPass while in Thailand. PLease allow us the chance to look into this with you. Are you currently using a Verizon Wireless SIM Card installed in your device when attempting to use your device? Also, do you have Roaming enabled?

JoseL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
bbarnes11
Enthusiast - Level 2

We had money in each line before leaving the country.

0 Likes
bbarnes11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry for the delayed response.  We had to buy local SIM Cards to get any service so i was unable to log back into this account.

We spend 5-6 hours over multiple calls with verizon and international calling support.  This is the explanation we ended up with.

When we got off the plane in thailand we noticed we didn't have calling/data support.  We used wifi calling to talk with international support.  We were told that while we had travelpass enabled on the two line in question, it was in some intermediate state in verizons system between active and inactive. At that point, the rep refreshed the travelpass status.  After a domestic flight in thailand we called back in.  The refresh didn't do anything so we tried some trouble shooting steps.  This included resetting our mobile settings. 

We were told by support that after resetting the mobile settings the phone had to reconnect to verizon towers to reinitialize.  They couldn't do this in thailand bc there are no verizon towers there obliviously.  So verizon support effectively made it impossible to use travelpass through their trouble shooting efforts.

All of this is very upsetting and makes me question verizon's competence.  When i switched to pre paid, i was told over and over again that travelpass will not be affected.  This is very important to us as we travel outside of the US multiple times a year.  I have no confidence that my phone will work in Canada a couple months.

Next, we spend an unacceptable amount of time on the phone trying to resolved this.  Every time we called in we talked to a new rep.  We had to repeat the issue every time and had to repeat usless trouble shooting steps every time.  We spend 5-6 hours of our valuable vacation time in thailand on the phone and it never even got resolved.

Lastly,  some the of the service reps acted unacceptably.  One rep was confrontational continually asking why we needed our phones to work and what the problem was b/c we weren't being charged for travelpass.  Another rep, a supervisor, faked bad reception with us, blaming wifi calling.  We had no issues with anyone and wifi call accept for him.  He kept faking bad reception until we gave up.  I at a loss for words during both of these phone calls..... i couldn't believe what was happening.

My wife described this as a nightmare, and i have to agree.  We have been offered a free month of service in compensation for all of this.  This is not enough.  I'm not sure you can offer us enough to retain us as customers at this point.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Just do your homework.  Att locks phones and you cannot roam out of North America on prepaid.   T mobile offers roaming in Europe, but data is throttled.

I’m quite interested to know what happened/solution.  You seem to have your ducks in a row, but Verizon let you down.   Sorry if it wrecked the trip.

0 Likes
bbarnes11
Enthusiast - Level 2

My homeworks was done.  Verizon service even admitted that everything was lined up on our side.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Not what I meant.  If you are going to change carriers, do your homework!  Other carriers have different policies.  For example ATT only allow postpaid to roam, and their phone’s  are locked until you pay off and unlock them.  T-mobile allows free roaming, but it’s worth every penny of $0 as data speed is 2g. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would be heartbroken if you were to go. I sincerely apologize for the experience as we are dedicated to offering you reliable service along with helpful and professional support.  For the most complete account support, our Prepaid Team can be further reached at 888-294-6804 if you are back in the U.S. or Global Support at 908-559-4899 as we would love the opportunity to turn things around. 

Yale_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes