Attempting to add a Galaxy S4 to network (turned away?)
pjhofmann

For reasons I won't go into (my daughter broke her iPhone), I tried to move her number to an S4 (which I had on Verizon a few months ago and was previously that number) and they said they don't support it anymore.  Is that right, Verizon doesn't support the addition of the S4 to the network?

0 Likes
Re: Attempting to add a Galaxy S4 to network (turned away?)
pjhofmann

I've typed in the IEMI in the BYOD link and it says the device is supported.  Color me confused.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

pjhofmann, I am sorry to hear that your daughter broke her phone. I have broken a phone in the past and know how concerning it is. I will get you the info you need regarding not being able to activate the Galaxy S4. Starting on 7/1 we are not allowing the CDMA only phones to be activated on the network. The reason we are unable to activate the phones is that we are looking to have the CDMA network retired by the end of 2019. We are moving all devices to our LTE network, which offers superior coverage, performance and lower costs compared to previous generation networks. Does this information help?

Santo_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
pjhofmann

The SCH-I545 (S4) version of the phone I was attempting to use is 4G LTE compatible according to it's Wiki, on the 1700Mhz band.

The S5 I will attempt next is also 4G compatible but adds the 2100MHz band as well, I hope Verizon supports that.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

However neither of those models are capable of making VoLTE calls. They still used the CDMA network for calls. Since VZW isn't activating anymore phones without VoLTE, those models are basically paperweights.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
pjhofmann

S4 is the paperweight, the S5 was activated without issue (so still useful).

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's good that one model could be activated.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes