iphone bypassing wifi
TIMW5670

We have three cell phones, 2 iPhones and 1 Google phone.  All of our phones are connected to wifi and we are able to access the internet through wifi on the cell phones.  For some reason, all of the phones are bypassing wifi and connecting to Verizon several times a day.  These connections occur at regular intervals, for instance, at 12:23 am and 6:23 am.  The connections use small amounts of data each time, but it is adding up to our entire 2 GB of data and costing additional money.  I've called Verizon customer service and they recommended turning off wifi assist...which did not help.  Another person recommended turning off cellular data entirely when we use wifi, which is inconvenient.  Any advice?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iphone bypassing wifi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TIMW5670, that is very strange that you are experiencing issues using cellular data while being connected to wi-fi. Seeing that you are having this issue with all three devices really causes some concern. There is a possibility that you could be running into router issues. Have you tried rebooting your router to see if that changes things? If not please unplug your router leave it unplugged for about 2-3 minutes before plugging it back up. After restarting the router test it out to see if you are still running into the same issue.

Justin_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

TIMW5670 wrote:

We have three cell phones, 2 iPhones and 1 Google phone. All of our phones are connected to wifi and we are able to access the internet through wifi on the cell phones. For some reason, all of the phones are bypassing wifi and connecting to Verizon several times a day. These connections occur at regular intervals, for instance, at 12:23 am and 6:23 am. The connections use small amounts of data each time, but it is adding up to our entire 2 GB of data and costing additional money. I've called Verizon customer service and they recommended turning off wifi assist...which did not help. Another person recommended turning off cellular data entirely when we use wifi, which is inconvenient. Any advice?

They are not bypassing wi-fi that's just when Verizon is reporting data use to the tower. Also turn on safety mode and you won't get charged overages

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't find it inconvenient to turn off the cellular data when I expect to be connected to a wifi router for extended periods of time.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes