Verizon is a bit dishonest imo. Looking to move.
Ohnoozer
Enthusiast - Level 1

So unfortunately in my work area we have heavy congestion.  I get no data for the most part except during off hours when no one is working.  Then I get great speeds but during the day I can’t use my internet at all….zip, zero, nada.

What really bothers me is you look at the coverage map and it shows great signal speeds in the area. And that’s true…I get 3 or 4 bars most the time.  But what does that mean if I can’t even get online because of congestion? 

I called but am just told “yea sucks for you because of congestion but hey pay another $80 a month and you’ll be golden”. 

Really?  You should not say you provide data if your system can't carry the load.  I have a $1k phone but can’t even get online because the not so “unlimited go” gets de-prioritized behind everyone on beyond? That is a joke.  No one in my building has any issue except the Verizon users that don’t have beyond. 

So….I’m looking around. ATT and TMobile users are fine here and honestly they pay a big less too.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon is a bit dishonest imo. Looking to move.
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

What plan are you on?

0 Likes
Ohnoozer
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm on the "Unlimited GO" plan and it's ridiculously bad.  Anywhere in town and it goes to total trash because EVERYWHERE is considered "congested".  You're forced to upgrade if you want any data at all and that's just not right.  I'm not going to upgrade out of principle, I'm just going to go to a competitor.  I tried to talk to them but it's pointless because the reps can't change the trash plans.  No service is perfect but some are less expensive and if I'm going to get bad service I can do that for less money.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon is a bit dishonest imo.  Looking to move.
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

So, your trade off for an Unlimited plan at a cheaper monthly rate (Go Unlimited) is that you are de-prioritized while on a congested tower. This information is presented to you BEFORE selecting the plan and you went ahead and selected that plan. Now that Verizon is doing EXACTLY what was stated in the plan details you want them to do something different. That is not how this works. That is not how any of this works.

The plan you're on is by your own choosing. If you cannot live with that plan then shouldn't have chosen it. Verizon has tiered plans as well as the Beyond Unlimited plan. The best bet is a tiered plan as you never get de-prioritized. On the tiered plans you also have Safety Mode which YOU enable that slows your speeds but gives you data without overages.

It seems that you need to make a better choice for yourself than the one you have made.

Ohnoozer
Enthusiast - Level 1

Oh no that is not how this happened.  The store worker told be I would only be slowed down after 22gb.  After talking to a rep on the phone I learned that what I was told was incorrect.  I went back to the store and the same lady told me that the rep was wrong and that the only difference between the beyond and go was some kind a cap on hotspot speeds or something like that.  I called again and was told the same thing by a different rep and now I know the store worker was wrong.

That said, there is a big difference between no speed and slow speed.  No matter what if you're getting no data when you're told you will just be slowed down during congestion...well then someone is not holding up their end of the deal....period.  I don't pay to get no data, I pay to get slowed down in the case of congestion.

You can ride the Verizon jock all day but you're just wrong.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Ohnoozer wrote:

So unfortunately in my work area we have heavy congestion. I get no data for the most part except during off hours when no one is working. Then I get great speeds but during the day I can’t use my internet at all….zip, zero, nada.

What really bothers me is you look at the coverage map and it shows great signal speeds in the area. And that’s true…I get 3 or 4 bars most the time. But what does that mean if I can’t even get online because of congestion?

I called but am just told “yea sucks for you because of congestion but hey pay another $80 a month and you’ll be golden”.

Really? You should not say you provide data if your system can't carry the load. I have a $1k phone but can’t even get online because the not so “unlimited go” gets de-prioritized behind everyone on beyond? That is a joke. No one in my building has any issue except the Verizon users that don’t have beyond.

So….I’m looking around. ATT and TMobile users are fine here and honestly they pay a big less too.

Bars have very little to do with speeds and nowhere on Verizon coverage maps do they indicate what speeds. They indicate coverage. OUTDOOR coverage. And even then coverage maps can not take into account things like trees and building. Coverage maps are meant to be a guide not holy scripture.

0 Likes
Ohnoozer
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok so the map isn't the gospel .. Ok.  I can accept that just fine.  That does not change the fact that after hours I have fine service and during the day I have none at all . Obviously their network can't keep up with the amount of customers.  Again I'm not talking about being slow, I'm talking about no service at all. If I were just slowed down I would be fine with that but no service at all except after hours is not ok.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Then perhaps a new carrier would be a better choice. Just to let you know their maps aren't any better. Over at the t-mobile subreddit at Reddit, even the most loyal t-mobile fanboys admit their coverage maps are basically fiction.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The store reps were apparently not trained fully.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Do you know what de-prioritization means?

It means that because of the plan you picked your data is not a prioritization over everyone else who picked a plan where they would be prioritized. Like me. I have a tiered plan and, while in congested areas I may experience slower speeds, I will get prioritization. Why did I pick this plan over the Unlimited plan that costs exactly the same? Simple, I went to the website and read the clearly disclosed plan details for all plans.

If, after business hours, you get better speeds it is because you're being treated exactly as you have requested by the plan that you chose.

Claiming ignorance to the plan details is not an excuse for being in the situation you're in.

0 Likes