Pure Gear Qi chargers with iPhone 8plus
FRAVOG00
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there a trick to this? Charger is plugged in and I’ve tried charging with the case off, readjusting on the stand and everything. Not getting any light (red or white)! Help!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Pure Gear Qi chargers with iPhone 8plus
stef7
Master - Level 2

I suppose I'd contact Apple and ask if there is some diagnostic that can be performed to verify Qi charging.

Maybe you have a bad charger or cable (are you using the same to charge your phone without the Qi charger?) Know anyone else with a phone that has Qi charging?

Maybe I'd bring my adapter, cable and charging pad, with phone to a VZW corporate store, and/or an Apple store and see on of their phones worked with the setup, or if my phone worked with one of their chargers, because the problem might be with your phone.

0 Likes
FRAVOG00
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I’m gonna have to take it in to Vzn because the Charging pad isn’t even lighting up. The Qi cable doesn’t fit the iPhone, it’s only for that charger. No directions or how to’s came with the pure gear charger! I’m guessing it should be just that simple but I’m thinking it’s a dead/malfunctioning charger! Hmm..bummer! Thanks for the reply Smiley Happy

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

FRAVOG00-

I know that one of the key features of the iPhone 8 is the ability to use a wireless charger with your device. I'm disappointed to hear that you haven't been able to get your Qi charger to work with your phone. In order to eliminate a device issue, does your phone charge correctly using a wired connection? Do you have another device that is capable of wireless charging? If so, does that device work with the Qi?

AmberK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
FRAVOG00
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don’t have anything else that may work with it. I took it to Verizon and it worked there. So I’m like ok that’s wierd, I’ll give it another shot. Well I took it to my shop and it did not work there! 😕 I had a client with an iPhone 8plus try it and it didnt work for hers either! I showed her mine and neither charged! it’s so wierd! Every outlet in my house did not work, nor at my salon! I’m befuddled!!

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

This will be super easy. Please don't be befuddled. (Nice word BTW).

You say you brought "it" to Verizon? What was "it"? Just the phone?

The phone and Qi charger?

The phone, Qi charger and cable?

The phone, Qi charger, cable and power adapter (the thing you plug into the wall?)

Be specific please.

My recommendation was for you to bring ALL of it to a VZW or Apple Store.

This is a simple process of elimination problem. Smiley Happy

At this point, I don't know what you brought, but you proved the phone charged in the VZW store. So we know it's not the phone. Yay on point #1 right?

There is no mystery force field in a VZW store, so I know the store, and your place of work, and anywhere in your house has NOTHING to do with it.

So now, we have to figure out, is it the power adapter that plugs into the wall? Your cable going to the Qi charger, or the Qi charger you have, or some combination of those. That's why I wanted you to bring all of them to the store. Why, to try one of their phones on your adapter, cable, and charging platform.

Something is wrong their right? because, a friends phone did not charge, and we will assume there is nothing wrong with that person's phone.

OK, we can eliminate the adapter if you use a different adapter, or you plug your cable into a USB port in your Computer, or your car's USB port (if it has one), or your radio in your car (some radios have them), or the USB charger plugged into your cigarette lighter (do you have one of those?), Do you get the cable and charger to work plugged into any other USB port?

I'm going to doubt the cable is the problem in the interest of the length of the email. Smiley Happy

If you got it working in your car, or connected to a PC, then it's the power adapter that is broken.

If you didn't, I'm thinking it's your new Pure Gear charging pad that is not working - or - it's not really compatible with your iPhone, even though its "Qi" compatible.

Have I lost you?

0 Likes
FRAVOG00
Enthusiast - Level 2

oh you don't read minds? haha jk Well i actually took the charger in with the iphone to the verizon store! The guy helping me put his phone on it and mine and it worked! However i tried a couple things you suggested and the good news is, it worked in my car!!! The weird news is, when i plugged the cable into my Apple adapter here at work, the charger kept blinking red! That was with nothing resting on it! As soon as i hooked it up to that apple adapter it just started blinking red!!

When i plugged the cable into my car adapter, there was no light and then when i put my phone on it, it was white!!! So that is exactly what you are supposed to expect, correct!? I was like, whew hew in the parking lot! lol

So i guess the problem is that this little charger in particular doesn't like adapters! lol

So all in all, halfway good news but nothing too bad either! Btw i appreciate your help!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

FRAVOG00,

We certainly want to make sure that your phone is able to charge on the wireless charger no matter what location you're at. I appreciate all your efforts in trying to get this resolved. It is pretty odd that it did charge while in the store, but wouldn’t anywhere else. I sent you a Private Message so we can discuss this further. Please replay back to me in the Private Message to continue.

AliciaS_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

BINGO.

What does the cigarette lighter say is it's output? 1A or 2.4A or what? Can you provide make/model?

On Amazon the Puregear Qi Charger gets poor reviews, from only a few people.

Personally, I would have gone with a Qi Charger that supported charging specifically for the iPhone that got good reviews. Hmm - not many mentioned by Apple. Maybe by reading reviews?

How to wirelessly charge your iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus - Apple Support

It's possible that your phone with this charger might work best if the Adapter was higher current, like the cigarette lighter provides, over one of those small 1Amp at 5Volt Apple Cubes. Infact Apple in that article indicates a PC USB port won't work. interesting.

You *might* try a higher amp adapter.  What did they use in the Verizon store? It would be best to use an adapter and qi charger designed for the Iphone 8 series.

0 Likes
FRAVOG00
Enthusiast - Level 2

That’s crazy! That’s the charger the guy at the verizon store suggested! I have a Jeep Liberty I’m not sure what the cigarette lighter output is. I dont have a manual to look it up. I honestly got it because I thought it would be cool to have. It doesn’t bother me to use a cord Charger. The Qi charger has to be plugged in anyways! I don’t know what adapter he used at the Verizon store. I had a break at work when I went back and asked about it! I’m gonna check out the link you sent. I tried searching for reviews or forums on the Qi charger and didn’t have any luck. Which is when I found this one!!! Smiley Happy

0 Likes