Can I get a Verizon SIM card for an iPad Pro?
mooncat7
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am considering buying a Refurbished iPad Pro from Apple. I know it comes with an Apple SIM that does not work on Verizon. I have been told I can ask for a Verizon SIM to activate service, but I am unclear whether they are free when I ask at a Verizon store & sign up or if there are multiple fees (I've heard both answers). I've heard that some Verizon stores will take care of you no problem, and I've heard that at others they tell you that unless you buy directly from them your iPad Pro is useless and they refuse all help. I want to know the OFFICIAL answer, or what experiences people have had. I've already had this issue with an iPhone - not going to happen twice!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon SIM for iPad Pro?
Weth
Legend

I have bought many devices from Apple and Verizon has never balked at activating.  You just go to corporate store and SIM card is free.  If it is a new line, there will be activation fee, but that is all. 

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon will activate a device you bring to them onto a new or existing plan. They have to. The fees are dependent on your plan. For example, on most plans there is a per-line fee (making a mobile plan for the tablet will count as a line, even if you can't use it for calling), which varies based on the type of device. Typically "Internet of Things" are the cheapest to add. A tablet will be cheaper than a cell phone to add to a plan, but more expensive than "Internet of Things" line, and a cell phone will be the most expensive. A tablet is usually no more than a couple of dollars extra onto an existing plan, and would share the data plan that you already have for perhaps your mobile phones. There may be activation fees, but a Verizon account rep would have to tell you, based on your account.

Now if you are looking for whether or not a SIM Card will cost you money, the Verizon Corporate Stores do not charge for the SIM Cards for adding or swapping a line. The "Premium Retailers" which Verizon authorized to sell Verizon phones on their behalf, now they may charge additional fees including the cost of a SIM Card.

By the way, Apple can help activate the iPad Pro onto any carrier you want at their store. If you order through their website, they will provide guidance on what to do.

mooncat7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your response. Not sure if I'll need to get a new plan (current phone is Verizon prepaid) but if I could combine it with the iPad, probably worth a discussion with a corporate store in advance. So if I did that, sounds like the SIM is a freebie. And thank you, yes I know - big difference in helpfulness and knowledge between corporate stores and retailers - learned that lesson with ATT 😞

My particular issue seems to be that if I buy a NEW iPad online, all is good with Apple supplying me with the proper SIM, but in trying to buy a refurbed iPad, even though Apple CS told me on the phone that I'd have that same option with the refurb, it just does not show anywhere in the checkout process online - but DOES show for a new iPad. And I've been told Apple stores don't have Verizon SIMS. So - trying to save $130 and still be sure I'll be good to go if I do, and nervous about it. But you have helped, and I will go talk to a corporate store & see what they say.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since you are prepaid currently for your phone, you can't add the iPad to that account. You will either have to get a separate account for a prepaid tablet line or convert your phone line into a new postpaid account using the New Verizon Plans. Once you have the postpaid account, you can add the iPad as a second device on the account and share your pool of data between the two devices (phone and iPad).

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

mooncat7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Ann - I wondered if that would be the case. I'm prepared to do that IF I'm not going to run into a SIM card hassle. I'm just leery of Verizon due to experience I've had and the way their "ownership" and control of devices plays out, contrary to every other service provider. They don't seem to want to play nice - with Apple devices at least. Since Verizon is the only carrier with usable signal in my area it's them or no one.  So I might just say "never mind" even though this is a service I want. I appreciate everyone's help. Interesting no one from Verizon has spoken up.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I have bought many devices from Apple and Verizon has never balked at activating.  You just go to corporate store and SIM card is free.  If it is a new line, there will be activation fee, but that is all. 

mooncat7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you to everyone who responded. Long talk with Verizon store mgr today. Not sure exactly what I'll do, but at least I know that whatever, the SIM card question was taken care of, and I was taken good care of as well.

0 Likes