What are permissions?
Ree1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Droid Turbo and I do run device checks on my phone every now and then to make sure it's alright.  I did one thus morning and it said a problem with battery and performance.  Battery said I have a problem with Wakelocks on my Bible app on 4-9-16 and 4-11-16 on those 2 days.  I don't even know what a Wakelock is.  Performance data I have alot of apps that has permissions.  Does that mean I have to delete all my apps.  Please help me.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problem with device
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ree1,

We appreciate you getting back to us with your question. We don't want you be overly worried about your phone's apps. Almost all applications are going to have permissions granted to them. A permission just means that the application has access to some part of the phone. For example, social media apps will generally have permission to access your phone's camera. This allows the app to upload pictures to share with friends & family. It's completely normal for apps to have permissions. As long as you are using applications from reputable developers you trust, there shouldn't be any issues. I hope this information helps!

EricW_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are glad that you are using these tools to keep your device in top working order, Ree1. A Wakelock is a permission granted to the app, the Bible in this case, that keeps the screen lit up beyond the default time span. In my opinion, this app permission is harmless as long as you remember to turn off the screen by tapping the power button.

DavidH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Ree1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok I had another question also.  Is someone else going to answer that question about the apps I have with permissions.  What do I do about that?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Depending on which permissions you are questioning. Unless the application itself is questionable, the developers only added or change permissions for the application to function properly. We will need more details on the specific applications.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Of course we can assist with your app and its permissions Ree1. What questions do you have about permissions? Which apps in particular are you referencing?

ArnettH_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Ree1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had quite a few apps that had permissions listed.  Do I need to go in and see which ones I had listed or is this something that is going to happen when I run device checks?

0 Likes
Ree1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have several apps that I use have the permissions.  It's giving me the option to uninstall these apps so that my phone will have better performance.  Do I need to just uninstall all 35 apps and just not use any of them?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ree1,

We appreciate you getting back to us with your question. We don't want you be overly worried about your phone's apps. Almost all applications are going to have permissions granted to them. A permission just means that the application has access to some part of the phone. For example, social media apps will generally have permission to access your phone's camera. This allows the app to upload pictures to share with friends & family. It's completely normal for apps to have permissions. As long as you are using applications from reputable developers you trust, there shouldn't be any issues. I hope this information helps!

EricW_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Ree1
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I don't need to worry about my performance on my phone then through the device health check yes?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That i a good question, Ree1. It is important to us that you have a clear understanding of how the device health check can be beneficial and I am happy to help.

We do not recommend you disregard any information from the device health check altogether. It can be a useful guide and point out important details about the phone. Is there anything from the device health check that has raised concerns for you?
SteveR_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes