Where is Wi-Fi Calling for iPhone 5c?
WritingBench

Apple reports that Wi-Fi calling is available on the 5c (which I own), if your carrier supports it. However, the option is not available on my Settings > Phone screen. Why doesn't Verizon support Wi-Fi calling on the 5c, when Apple says the functionality is available?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Where is Wi-Fi Calling for iPhone 5c?
Weth
Legend

iPhone 5C does not support VoLTE.  If you are on wifi calling and leave wifi, your call would drop on the 5C, whereas with 6 or later it will switch seamlessly to VoLTE and keep the calling going if the phone has usable LTE signal.  For that reason I doubt Verizon will ever turn on wifi calling for the 5c or 5s

View solution in original post

0 Likes
meap10
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am wondering the same thing. I hope they release an update for it soon.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Not on the 5C. Not even the T-Mobile version has it from what I remember. It was for the 5S and higher. The 5 and 5C don't.

0 Likes
meap10
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, so is Verizon not a supported carrier of this feature?

From Apple: "To use Wi-Fi Calling, you need an iPhone 5c or later on a supported carrier."

Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling - Apple Support

0 Likes
emerald_eyez
Contributor - Level 1

Wi-Fi Calling is available on IoS 9.3 at least.  So, you would need to update the phone software and then it is either under Cellular or Phone in Settings.  Smiley Happy

meap10
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, Thanks! Is it a certain plan that can have this feature, if you know? Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Ah they finally added it. From as long as I remembered anything under the 5S never had the option. Nice to see Apple made more devices support it  most of the time they don't.

0 Likes
meap10
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks! Will it take Verizon some time to send out a Carrier update to support this? I haven't gotten the option to enable WiFi calling.

0 Likes
emerald_eyez
Contributor - Level 1

My sister has the iPhone 6 on a More Everything plan and it works.  So, I'm guessing it's More Everything and the new Verizon Plans too.

meap10
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok thanks for all of your great help!