bootloop issue
cronraptor
Enthusiast - Level 3

LG has acknowledged that the bootloop issue is caused by contacts of some hardware components loosening with use, and will repair any phone currently in a bootloop.  However, I'm not overly fond of the idea of playing Russian Roulette, hoping the phone doesn't experience the bootloop at an inopportune time.  I would prefer that my phone get the new motherboard, or get a new phone with the new motherboard.  What is Verizon's official stance on this issue?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: bootloop issue
SoloRider
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone just started doing this.....I found this while googling:

@

Here’s the full statement LG made to Android Authority:

LG Electronics has been made aware of a booting issue with the LG G4 smartphone that has now been identified as resulting from a loose contact between components. Customers who are experiencing booting issues with their LG G4s should contact their local carrier from where the G4 was purchased or a nearby LG Service Center (www.lg.com/common) for repair under full warranty.

Customers who purchased their G4 devices from non-carrier retailers should contact an LG Service Center with the understanding that warranty conditions will differ. LG Electronics is committed to providing the highest standards of product quality and customer service and apologizes for the inconvenience caused to some of our customers who initially received incorrect diagnoses.

It would be nice if an Verizon Wireless Customer Support rep would weigh in on this issue.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I'm pretty sure Verizon's official stance would be to contact the manufacturer of the device. If your device's serial number matches the list of affected units LG will repair the phone at no cost.

0 Likes
cronraptor
Enthusiast - Level 3

LG states to contact the carrier the phone was purchased from, so if you're correct, we've got another loop going...

0 Likes
carolj72

I actually just dealt with this issue the beginning of the week. If your phone gets stuck in the bootloop issue and your still under your warranty then you can call Verizon and explain the issue which every representative I spoke to were well aware of the situation. Verizon will ship you out a "like new" LG G4, which I was not happy about at all considering I'm on the Edge program and had my phone 6 months and still have 18 months left of paying for a brand new phone that has been replaced with a used phone. I did get the phone the next day, like you I was concerned I would have the same issue again. I called LG and by providing the representative with the serial number he was able to confirm the  replacement phone was repaired by Verizon and the motherboard was replaced on 1/12/2016. So they are replacitng the motherboards and you actually have your choice to go through Verizon or through LG. LG will repair your actual phone by replacing the motherboard but the turn around time to get your phone back is 2-3 weeks and Verizon will ship it out for next day delivery. I hope this helps answer your question. Hopefully your phone is fine and you won't have to deal with the inconvenience. Good Luck

0 Likes
cronraptor
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm unable to find an official LG statement, but there's a lot of talk on the various Android forums that the problem impacts phones built before October.  Apparently, LG G4 serial numbers start with the date of manufacture, so this would be serial numbers starting with 509 or lower.  I'm hoping this is true.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

505 was the main sequence.  My 507 has no issues.  I got it in 512, so it might have already been a replaced or repaired or QC'd unit at that time.

0 Likes
SoloRider
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone just started doing this.....I found this while googling:

@

Here’s the full statement LG made to Android Authority:

LG Electronics has been made aware of a booting issue with the LG G4 smartphone that has now been identified as resulting from a loose contact between components. Customers who are experiencing booting issues with their LG G4s should contact their local carrier from where the G4 was purchased or a nearby LG Service Center (www.lg.com/common) for repair under full warranty.

Customers who purchased their G4 devices from non-carrier retailers should contact an LG Service Center with the understanding that warranty conditions will differ. LG Electronics is committed to providing the highest standards of product quality and customer service and apologizes for the inconvenience caused to some of our customers who initially received incorrect diagnoses.

It would be nice if an Verizon Wireless Customer Support rep would weigh in on this issue.

0 Likes