Why can't I use data while I am on a call?
sbenson1189
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is anyone having a problem with not having a data connection while on a call using a Note 5?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Note 5 no data while on phone call?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

1x is normal without advanced calling enabled on newer devices. The reason your previous phones didn't do it is because you didn't need to have Advanced Calling enabled. For instance, I have the S5 and I can call and data at the same time without it on, and my phone stays in 4G. LG G2 is the same way. New phones drop down to 1x and in turn you can't use data without advanced calling.

Phone switches to 1X signal when i make phone calls. Why doesn't it stay in 4G LTE like it is befor...

There are many threads on this.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

sbenson1189,

We want you to be able to multi-task on your phone so you can take advantage of the awesome features of the Note 5. Let’s figure out what’s going on. When did you start having trouble using data while on a call? What happens when you try? Please share what software version is installed on your phone for me http://vz.to/216sXd5 .

ShawnteJ_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Turn on Advanced Calling, under settings>advanced calling

sbenson1189
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's a brand new phone just got it on monday. 5.1.1 is the software version.

0 Likes
sbenson1189
Enthusiast - Level 2

It goes to a faded 1x when on a call with no bars

0 Likes
sbenson1189
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just activated advanced calling.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

You'll still need good service to use the data portion, 1x is normal on a phone call.

0 Likes
sbenson1189
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your advice of advanced calling seems to have solved the problem. Thank you

1x is never normal while on a call, unless you are in a low coverage area. I had full 4G before the call, and full 4G after the call. I have never had this issue with any other phone, anywhere.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

1x is normal without advanced calling enabled on newer devices. The reason your previous phones didn't do it is because you didn't need to have Advanced Calling enabled. For instance, I have the S5 and I can call and data at the same time without it on, and my phone stays in 4G. LG G2 is the same way. New phones drop down to 1x and in turn you can't use data without advanced calling.

Phone switches to 1X signal when i make phone calls. Why doesn't it stay in 4G LTE like it is befor...

There are many threads on this.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Galaxy Note 5 has a similar radio design to the Galaxy S6 and the iPhone. It only has one cellular radio installed, which can operate against one technology at a time. Older devices usually featured two radios. One that was dedicated for LTE / GSM functions, while another ran for CDMA Voice and data. Some older devices such as the Galaxy S3, featured two radios. One radio was capable of just CDMA for voice calling, and another was a dedicated data radio capable of supporting SVDO (1X / 3G Data in call), LTE, and was also used for connecting to GSM networks.

That should explain why you haven't seen this, and why Advanced Calling is required. Enjoy the new phone, though! Smiley Happy