Why Can't I receive MMS while on a call?
Romeia

Hello,

I recently updated from a galaxy s3 to a galaxy s5 about 6 months ago. Since I changed my phone I am no longer able to send/receive text messages nor access the internet on a call as I once was utilizing my s3. Now when i begin a call the 4G LTE signal completely disappeara and is replaced by '1x'...the 4G LTE symbol returns promptly once I disconnect the call and I am immediately able to send/receive MMS messages and utilize the internet. My zip code is 23832 and has been so since when I had the s3. Can this be resolved? I've heard conflicting info (in this forum) that I cannot change this and also that (looking at another post from a VZW rep) that it can. Please help before before I leave Verizon for good.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MMS while on call
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The difference between your new phone and the older Galaxy S3 device is that your newer phone does not feature two mobile radios - one which is used for Voice, and one which is dedicated for data. Verizon phones, because Verizon's underlying voice network relies on CDMA, are unable to pass data (and ultimately MMS) while on a call. SMS (text-only) messages should still continue to go through as SMS is passed in a management channel on CDMA.

To fix this, please enable "Advanced Calling 1.0" or "HD Voice" on your phone. To do this, make sure your phone is running Android Lollipop and is up to date. To do this, go to Settings > Software Update, or Settings > About Phone > Software Update. Lollipop is Android v5.0 and you should be running the latest update.

Once Android is confirmed up to date, go to Settings > Advanced Calling 1.0. If you are not already opted in, use the provided menu to opt-in. The My Verizon app will open, and you will be walked through the easy process of opting in. Some special line features, like ringback tones may be removed as right now they are not compatible with Advanced Calling 1.0.

With Advance Calling enabled on your line, you'll see two options under Settings > Advanced Calling. The second will take you to the place where you can enable HD Voice and Video calling. Make sure "HD Voice" is enabled - you can turn off Video calling if you don't want it.

With HD Voice enabled, so long as your phone is on "LTE," calls will be placed over LTE, and you will be able to text, use data, and use voice at the same time! Call quality will also be improved. Just note - with HD Voice enabled, if your phone drops LTE reception, your call will drop, and the phone will return to "Pre-HD Voice" service levels until your phone regains an LTE Signal again. If you find the rate of dropped calls too much, please let Verizon know, and go to Settings > Advanced Calling, and turn off HD Voice. You can turn it on and off at will.

EDIT: Please note that MMS requires your mobile data to be on. MMS data cannot travel over Wi-Fi until Verizon has fully implemented Wi-Fi calling in the fashion T-Mobile has.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It would break our hearts to see you go Romeia.  You have a great phone in your hands and I want to make sure that you taking advantage of all the features.  It is definitly odd to hear that you are unale to send messages while on a call. Let's work together to get  your phone connected to our 4G at all times. Are you connected to Wi-fi when this happens? Is your phones software up to date?

Here to help.
YareliM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Romeia

My software is up to date....I checked earlier tonight...this happens when I am connected to wifi and have my mobile data turned off, when I'm connected to wifi and my mobile data is on, as well as when I'm not on wifi but using mobile data

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for providing this infomraiton Romeia.  It is definitely important to have the mobile data turned but is odd to hear you experince this while connected.  Have you always had this issue on your phone? Are you do you have an SD card for your S5?

YareliM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The difference between your new phone and the older Galaxy S3 device is that your newer phone does not feature two mobile radios - one which is used for Voice, and one which is dedicated for data. Verizon phones, because Verizon's underlying voice network relies on CDMA, are unable to pass data (and ultimately MMS) while on a call. SMS (text-only) messages should still continue to go through as SMS is passed in a management channel on CDMA.

To fix this, please enable "Advanced Calling 1.0" or "HD Voice" on your phone. To do this, make sure your phone is running Android Lollipop and is up to date. To do this, go to Settings > Software Update, or Settings > About Phone > Software Update. Lollipop is Android v5.0 and you should be running the latest update.

Once Android is confirmed up to date, go to Settings > Advanced Calling 1.0. If you are not already opted in, use the provided menu to opt-in. The My Verizon app will open, and you will be walked through the easy process of opting in. Some special line features, like ringback tones may be removed as right now they are not compatible with Advanced Calling 1.0.

With Advance Calling enabled on your line, you'll see two options under Settings > Advanced Calling. The second will take you to the place where you can enable HD Voice and Video calling. Make sure "HD Voice" is enabled - you can turn off Video calling if you don't want it.

With HD Voice enabled, so long as your phone is on "LTE," calls will be placed over LTE, and you will be able to text, use data, and use voice at the same time! Call quality will also be improved. Just note - with HD Voice enabled, if your phone drops LTE reception, your call will drop, and the phone will return to "Pre-HD Voice" service levels until your phone regains an LTE Signal again. If you find the rate of dropped calls too much, please let Verizon know, and go to Settings > Advanced Calling, and turn off HD Voice. You can turn it on and off at will.

EDIT: Please note that MMS requires your mobile data to be on. MMS data cannot travel over Wi-Fi until Verizon has fully implemented Wi-Fi calling in the fashion T-Mobile has.

Romeia

!!!!!!!! Thank you SO much Smith6612! This resolved it perfectly! Short sweet and to the point. Cannot thank you enough!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Anytime! Enjoy the new phone Smiley Happy

0 Likes