Latest Update Killed Performance
sRDennyCrane

For my Samsung Galaxy S4, the latest update, 1545VRUGOF1, performance is not TERRIBLE. I have zero wifi connectivity, 4G LTE internet is slower than the old 3G- 1.5mbps Down, 0.89mbps Up. This is through various browsers and internet-connected apps. Worse, since the S4 is now clearly struggling for connections, battery life is bad, too... and the phone gets very hot. Benchmarks are now 1/4 of previous results- for example, on Quadrant Standard, my S4 consistently gave 12,xxx results and now it's in the 3,xxx range. Honestly, I feel like I'm using my old Droid X from 2010. I've powered down and up many times, removed the battery, etc. I'm not thrilled with the idea of a factory reset since I'm not willing to lose all my data (text messages, settings, etc). I've been a Verizon customer for over a decade and this problem is simply unacceptable.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Latest Update Killed Performance
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

While I agree that moving forward and progressing in technology can be a burden - doing a factory reset doesn't have to be. Companies are more focused on pushing the hottest new toy and making sure IT works so it's even more frustrating for folks who have older devices it seems. You can back up call logs, text messages, photos, videos, documents all to your cloud. I always say to check in the cloud on the computer JUST to make sure before you do one though. The only issue you'd run into is how far back the Verizon cloud would save of your text messages. My understanding the initial back up will only save text messages up to 90 days old.

You could attempt to troubleshoot each one of your problems.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
cherie12
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have noticed exactly the same problem.  Totally agree.   Have you received any feedback?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

While I agree that moving forward and progressing in technology can be a burden - doing a factory reset doesn't have to be. Companies are more focused on pushing the hottest new toy and making sure IT works so it's even more frustrating for folks who have older devices it seems. You can back up call logs, text messages, photos, videos, documents all to your cloud. I always say to check in the cloud on the computer JUST to make sure before you do one though. The only issue you'd run into is how far back the Verizon cloud would save of your text messages. My understanding the initial back up will only save text messages up to 90 days old.

You could attempt to troubleshoot each one of your problems.

0 Likes
sRDennyCrane

Cerie12, no feedback at all. I'm getting close to jumping ship and seeing what other companies are offering. About the only thing that's keeping me here is my unlimited data.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

If you are thinking of jumping ship, you better look around before you do.  Factory resets and updates are all the same regardless who your provider is, and since most users refuse to update their phones the proper way, thereby avoiding post update problems, this forum and forums from other providers are chuck full of problems people are having.

For what it worth I have the same phone and have the latest updates without any of the problems so there is nothing wrong with the update software. I do a full backup of everything on my phone except apps and their date, then do the factory reset PRIOR to installing the update. After the update is finished I reload my apps from the play store. I would venture to guess that 90 percent of all problems with updates are caused by user downloaded apps and the conflict they have with the new update.

sRDennyCrane

Klue, I've been using Android phones since the Eclair OS. I've had 4 Android phones and 5 Android tablets. 2 Motorolas, 2 Nexus, 2 Acer, and 3 Samsungs. I've seen every update imaginable. This is not a matter of the apps installed, and it's certainly not  a matter of not updating in the "proper way". A PROPER UPDATE doesn't require resets, restores, wipes or anything other than the standard download/installation process. And, after a cursory check across the internet, I'm certainly not alone with this particular set of problems after the latest update.

It's a shame that Verizon doesn't come into these threads to offer some help.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

You make a good point that a proper update shouldn't require resets as it is a PITA,  but in all reality that is not the case anymore as smart phones are becoming to complex. There is so much software out there that people put on their phones it is impossible for an update to be compatible with everything.  I reset my phone before every update and have never had a problem with any new update across three different phones all with Verizon.

0 Likes
sRDennyCrane

Klue...except for the fact my newer Samsung device and older Nexus devices updated fine.  This a problem with the update.  Not with the device,  not with the installed apps.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

Isn't the update software you installed the same update software I installed on my phone? If it is then the problem lies elsewhere as we have identical phones.

0 Likes