Data Usage
Richellek
Enthusiast - Level 2

My plan is always running out of data when we dont use data that much. Usually always on wifi. Also although Im on wifi when I use Youtube I see the  4 g data being used althought I am using Wifi. I am getting very frustrated No one can afford these outrages Charges. Need this fixed or I will be Leaving Verizon just like I left Sprint.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data Usage
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

On my S5 I have the option "smart network switch" which allows the mobile network to pick up where wifi might be lacking to fill the void.

You should look on the note 3 and see if you have something similar. Mine is located under settings>wi-fi>menu within wifi>advanced>smart network switch

make sure that's not selected.

The other option is to turn off mobile data while you're connected to wifi, usually there is a quick button for this on the drop down menu from the home screen so you can quickly turn it off and on in 2 seconds.

View solution in original post

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Can you look under settings>usage and relay what the top 3 apps are and how much they are using?

The cellular data you use is not reported instantly so if you are looking at when you used data on your bill, it's timestamps is when it was reported, not when it was used.

Richellek
Enthusiast - Level 2

6/27-7/26 maps  facebook chrome are the top 3 . But the issue is when I have on WIFi My data is being used also I can see the arrows under the 4g moving while All along the wifi is on.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

On my S5 I have the option "smart network switch" which allows the mobile network to pick up where wifi might be lacking to fill the void.

You should look on the note 3 and see if you have something similar. Mine is located under settings>wi-fi>menu within wifi>advanced>smart network switch

make sure that's not selected.

The other option is to turn off mobile data while you're connected to wifi, usually there is a quick button for this on the drop down menu from the home screen so you can quickly turn it off and on in 2 seconds.

Poppi_Keith
Enthusiast - Level 1

Me too! So dissatisfied with VERIZON

Doug_S1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ours went amok a couple months ago and we traced it to email (quantity and file sizes) even though Wi-Fi at home is 90% of use, email happens often when not at home.

So we stopped emails for one email address and problem solved.

YMMV

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

You should also be able to set a limit on the size of e-mail and it's attachments you get so if you needed to get e-mail you could still do it without high data use.

Richellek
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK thank you so much......I also went to Verizon store and a guy showed me how fb changed things.......that they get money when videos play in the background so he showed me how to turn the continously automatic play off within the fb app......it has helped

......it was my son's iPhone that had it turned on ...check your fb video play settings .

0 Likes
GZRX
Contributor - Level 3

In addition to the "Smart Network Switch" which I have unchecked, there is a setting on my S5 that refers to "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep".  I have that set to always. 

Otherwise is it possible that even if the Smart Network Switch is disabled, that the phone could still use data when WiFi turns off while the phone is asleep?  Or is this setting a needless battery drainer?

0 Likes