How do I set up my notifications so I do not see previews of texts on my lock screen?
ombrato1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello - I would like to be notified of messages on my locked screen without the message preview. Not on the status bar, but directly on the screen (i.e. with a banner). Is that possible please? Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy S5 - Message notification on lock screen without preview
GZRX
Contributor - Level 3

ombrato1, try this:  in the phone's settings / sound&notifications / while locked / select  (hide sensitive content).

On my S5 this still provides the notification but without displaying personal information on the lock screen.

View solution in original post

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

1. Open Message+

2. Click the left hand corner (3 stacked vertical lines)

3. Scroll down to Settings

4. Select Enable Popup

5. Select Enable Popup Over Lock Screen

It doesn't have an option to hide the content of the text message, but that may be changeable under a different setting; try the above and if it doesn't work let us know.

0 Likes
ombrato1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you MiiHere - I am familiar with that option, but as you say, it shows the text preview. I would like to only receive a notification that I received a text message. You mentioned it may be changeable under a different setting ... would you have any more info on that please?

0 Likes
GZRX
Contributor - Level 3

ombrato1, try this:  in the phone's settings / sound&notifications / while locked / select  (hide sensitive content).

On my S5 this still provides the notification but without displaying personal information on the lock screen.

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I would do as I stated previously in combination with what GZRX said. If that doesn't work then I would skip my previous statement and JUST do as GZRX said. I know there is a way to do it, I have my phone on a pattern lock and it alerts me with a banner that only says who sent a message and how many, no content is revealed.

ombrato1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you SO MUCH for your help GZRX and MiiHere. Problem resolved Smiley Happy

0 Likes
ombrato1
Enthusiast - Level 2

All right ... not resolved unfortunately. It started showing again the content ... really annoying. Also, the banners are not limited to text messages or phone calls, but to notifications such UI or updates, with the result that the screen fills with banners. Any tip to a) get only the banner without text preview for text messages; and b) get rid of banners for anything else than texts or phone calls will be really appreciated!!!

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I had a look at my phone and what I originally stated; opening Messages+ is NOT the way to go, unselect the pop up option if you selected it and ONLY do like GZRX said. From there messages will only say "Messages+ 1 new message" etc. no content will be shown. I'd also suggest restarting your phone afterwards.

As for other banners showing, under settings/sound and notification/ scroll to the bottom there is "application notifications" you can go through each application that is showing pop ups; for example games i play have notifications and banners so I turn those off.

GZRX
Contributor - Level 3

So far this is still working ok for me as described above.  Not sure the problem there for you.  Is the "hide sensitive content" still showing as set? As to unwanted notification that you are receiving, you could check  "settings / sound notifications  / application notifications". Maybe there is something there that might help.  Looks like a lot of the things listed there can be blocked if not set that way already.  Other than that, I'm pretty much out of gas.

ombrato1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi MiiHere - I did as you recommended: unchecked the Messages pop-up option and just follow GZRX's direction. This time it worked! Thank you very much again!

0 Likes