unable to send sms after lollipop upgrade.
jdough529
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am able to receive, but am unable to send sms syst upgrading to lollipop. unlike some other users my mobile network did not change. The phone is only 2 days old.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: unable to send sms after lollipop upgrade.
dmwhite
Enthusiast - Level 2

YES!  After getting email notification of this last from billmac1 I checked for a software update (did not get any notification from Verizon regarding it)... ran the update and now the SMS sending issue is resolved.  For me, at least.  Hope it is for others affected by that, as well.
And that's with the Lollipop update, billmac1... but I'd probably still wait a few months if I hadn't run it already.

View solution in original post

jdough529
Enthusiast - Level 2

Additionally,  I placed the sim card in my old S4, and was able to text.

0 Likes
billmac1
Enthusiast - Level 2

No answer for you, but I'm having the same problem. I've worked with both Samsung & Verizon tech support so far. Hard & soft resets have not solved the problem. I can receive but not send texts. Just got this phone on Monday 3/8/2015. Worked fine until the lollipop upgrade yesterday.

jdough529
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have also tried resets. Interestingly enough when I tried a factory reset from recovery mode, lollipop stayed. Verizon has opened a trouble ticket because they think it is a back end network issue.  I will keep you posted.

0 Likes
billmac1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. I also have a ticket open with Verizon engineers. Oddly enough, it looks like we both got our phones this week.

Worked fine on Android 4.4, but when 5.0 installed yesterday my texting problem started.

jdough529
Enthusiast - Level 2

Still waiting to hear from Verizon,  but I can send MMS, just not sms

billmac1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Still no word from Verizon either. Just checked - I can also send an MMS (tested with a photo). I installed Facebook Messenger and that also works.

dmwhite
Enthusiast - Level 2

Been having the exact same issue since the lollipoop (yes, that was intentional) hit my new phone last week.  And after a week of back and forth between Verizon and Samsung, there is still no word of a fix for this issue. In fact, the only constant has been each successive tech support person I've talked to having no clue the issue exists.

billmac1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Seems like there are 2 possible solutions.

1) If you're under warranty, have Verizon replace the phone. At this time, it's likely the phone will come with KitKat (4.4.4) and everything will work. Ignore requests to upgrade to Lollipop for awhile, at least until it's above 5.0. I recommend this solution, since the next solution is very technical.

2) Downgrade back to KitKat.  This involves a few downloads and some technical savvy. Not the recommended solution, but if you're technical and desperate, here's a link on how to do it.

Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Understand the instructions, follow them exactly and good luck. I really want to emphasize that this solution may fail and if it does, you'll be stuck with a non-working phone for awhile.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Go with this:  billmac1  1) If you're under warranty, have Verizon replace the phone. At this time, it's likely the phone will come with KitKat (4.4.4) and everything will work. Ignore requests to upgrade to Lollipop for awhile, at least until it's above 5.0. I recommend this solution, since the next solution is very technical.   Go with 5.1 as the min. as that also has some bugs that need to be worked out.

0 Likes