How do I turn off spell check while texting?
slolife

When I am writing a text message, my phone has an automatic spell checker of some sort which arbitrarily changes words it doesn't recognize into ones that it does--without alerting me or letting me change back. Many words and abbreviations common to my industry (real estate) do not pass muster with the spell checker. I can't find how to turn it off or make it manual instead of automatic. Have checked the support area online with no luck. Searching under "spelling" and "spell check" yields no results. Please help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Spell Check in Texting Mode
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would check the settings of the keyboard and see if you can turn off the predictions or change it to have it start saving those spellings as correct.

For example, the Samsung keyboard is using the SwiftKey keyboard engine for predictions. Once you type one spelling and string of phases a few times, the prediction engine will start to anticipate the next words.

While I found the Samsung keyboard useful, I preferred the full SwiftKey keyboard for learning my writing style.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would check the settings of the keyboard and see if you can turn off the predictions or change it to have it start saving those spellings as correct.

For example, the Samsung keyboard is using the SwiftKey keyboard engine for predictions. Once you type one spelling and string of phases a few times, the prediction engine will start to anticipate the next words.

While I found the Samsung keyboard useful, I preferred the full SwiftKey keyboard for learning my writing style.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
slolife

Thanks for the advice. I've turned off predictions because I don't seem to be able to change the system to
"learn" my needed words. It's a big relief for the moment! I will follow up later by examining the SwiftKey settings to see if I can improve them.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

slolife,

I know how important it is to be able to spell everything correctly and prevent auto-correct from spelling the wrong words. I'm pleased to see you've gotten great advice here; that's definitely the way to go. Please, let us know if you need further assistance with your keyboard. If problems persist, I suggest disabling all other keyboards and utilizing the Samsung keyboard. Keep us posted.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes