Why won't the Email client on my Moto X send mail while connected to WiFi?
JasDempsey

My daughter has a VZW Moto X which which we are quite happy.

One strange problem:  While connected to her home wifi, the email client will not send messages.  The messages collect in Outbox and never get moved to Sent.

When this happens:

- wifi connectivity is fine because she can browse the internet

- even the email client can retrieve POP messages from the same server as the SMTP server

- looking at the SMTP server logs, no attempt is made by the phone to connect to the SMTP server to attempt to deliver the message

- if she turns off wifi, then the messages get sent, indicating that the outgoing SMTP configuration is OK

I inspected all the Email and Account settings and I can't find anything which might be causing this to happen.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Email client on Moto X not sending mail while connected to WiFi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is very puzzling, JasDempsey. You've done a lot of great work already to confirm it's not the phone settings or the Verizon Wireless network. Since you mentioned it doesn't even show on the SMTP server logs, it seems as if there may be a port blocked through the home WiFi provider that's keeping the SMTP service from being contacted. Please reach out to the home provider to have them see if the port can be opened or if there is an alternative solution while connected to their internet service.

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is very puzzling, JasDempsey. You've done a lot of great work already to confirm it's not the phone settings or the Verizon Wireless network. Since you mentioned it doesn't even show on the SMTP server logs, it seems as if there may be a port blocked through the home WiFi provider that's keeping the SMTP service from being contacted. Please reach out to the home provider to have them see if the port can be opened or if there is an alternative solution while connected to their internet service.

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
JasDempsey

Thank you, JenniferH_VZW.  I bet your idea of the home ISP blocking the outgoing SMTP port must exactly be it.  I will investigate.

0 Likes
JasDempsey

You were 100% correct, JenniferH_VZW.  I switched to using port 587 (instead of 25) and everything worked perfectly.  Thank you very much!

0 Likes