Unlocking policy on device payment agreements
rdilipk
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an iPhone XR that is under a device agreement plan. So it's not fully paid off yet. How does the 60-day locking policy apply here? The FAQ says something like this:

=============
Device purchased on a device payment agreement and paid off prior to 60 day requirement - Locked for 60 days from purchase

=============

I don't understand what this means. Does the 60-day locked period start **only after** the device has been fully paid off? Or does it start from the day the order was placed and the phone was activated?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unlocking policy on device payment agreements
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Happy to help with any follow-up questions, rdilipk. Once the 60-day period has been completed, the phone is unlocked even with a still active Device Payment. Now, to get a bit more specific, if payments towards the device stopped and the account it was on was disconnected, the phone may be flagged for non-payment and then locked after that.

However, if the Device Payment/bill is being paid, and the phone has been activated, and on a VZW number for 60-days, it is unlocked. So, if you traveled overseas and wanted to use an international SIM for a trip, you could. Did that help clarify things? 

JohnT_VZW

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rdilipk, I can see why you wanted to get some clarification. I'd be happy to help clear things up and outline the unlock policy. A device needs to be activated on our network, connected to a VZW number, for 60-days. After those 60-days it is unlocked. Does that help confirm how the unlocking policy works?  

JohnT_VZW

rdilipk
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you don't mind my follow-up questions, have I understood it correctly that it doesn't matter whether the phone is paid off or not? All that needs to happen is for the phone to be on the Verizon network for 60 days after activation. Is that correct?

Just for curiosity's sake, I have a hard time understanding that. Doesn't this mean people can try to switch carriers without even paying off the device?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Possibly, but it also allows the customer to use the phone during an international trip with a local carrier for less cost than any of the VZW international plan options. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Happy to help with any follow-up questions, rdilipk. Once the 60-day period has been completed, the phone is unlocked even with a still active Device Payment. Now, to get a bit more specific, if payments towards the device stopped and the account it was on was disconnected, the phone may be flagged for non-payment and then locked after that.

However, if the Device Payment/bill is being paid, and the phone has been activated, and on a VZW number for 60-days, it is unlocked. So, if you traveled overseas and wanted to use an international SIM for a trip, you could. Did that help clarify things? 

JohnT_VZW

rdilipk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you John T. That was incredibly helpful. It helps me decide how fast I should pay off my device. Much appreciated.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are glad to see we were able to help you out, rdilipk. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime. Have a wonderful day and stay safe!

AnnaG_VZW

0 Likes
CVM2

This is no longer correct.  I paid off a phone that was on a device payment plan and Verizon’s policy is that the phone is Carrier Locked for 60 days from payoff.

Made payments on it for at least 9 months, then paid it off Aug.8.  Verizon will not unlock until after October 8.

0 Likes
kh-taylarie
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes