Iphone XR dropping calls
stb267
Enthusiast - Level 1

Two new Iphone XRs, and both keep dropping calls immediately after connecting to caller. Within 2-3 seconds.

Seems to happen when leaving tower range? Will only work if I power phone on and off, then it will accept calls until I leave the area again.  It happens everywhere, every city, inside/outside, day/night.  Also loses internet signal, until I power phone on and off.

Talked to Tier 2 customer service twice.  Opened trouble ticket and they sent me a text a week later stating they determined I have "good signal strength" and suggested I "buy an extender".  Called Tier 2 again and asked to resubmit ticket and apparently they are refusing to look into matter further.  They are washing their hands of it while I continue to get dropped calls.  It's a joke.  And it's dangerous.  What if I need to call emergency services and can't connect?

It seems to be a system error.  Never had this problem with Verizon before.  Been a customer since they started business.  Been in same house for 20 years.  No problems until buying the Iphone XR in December 2018.  Ended up trading it for another one in case the first one was damaged.  The second Iphone XR is doing the same exact thing.

Tried all the resets via customer service.  Tried enabling/disabling LTE.  Tried voice/data on and off.  Tried data only.  Tried voice only.  Nothing fixes the problem.

The only consistent pattern seems to be dropping calls after traveling down the road.  Also seems to only happen when calling other Verizon customers.  People with other carriers like ATT and TMobile are usually able to connect to my phone.

It's not the service area signal because other family members can get a signal with their IPhone 6S and IPhone 5C.

I'm so sick of this, and not getting anyone from Verizon to take initiative to search out the problem. Ready to switch to AT&T.

Labels (2)
Re: Iphone XR dropping calls
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

stb267,

We value your loyalty and certainly don't want to see you go anywhere else. I know how important it is to have service you can count on. You've been through a lot trying to get this solved and I certainly appreciate it. I want to make sure we get to the bottom of this. I've sent you a private message. Please reply when you can so we can fully assist you.

AndrewT_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
fjohansing
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also have this issue, do you mind sharing a solution so this forum can be helpful to others? 

Bobby-2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same problem.  My iphone drops calls.  Same symptom all the time when it happens.  Person calls, I answer, 2 seconds later, it drops.  I replaced my first iphone xr.  The replacement has the same problem.  Any future replacements will be with a different phone or Verizon itself.  

I might have to restart my phone many times a day as a pre-emptive measure until this is resolved.

I am really unhappy.  I had three iphones before: the 4, 5s, and 6 plus.   None of them had the drop call problem this one does.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Bobby-2, having your calls drop out is not the way to start your weekend. I want to make sure we can figure out why this is happening, and ensure you don't have any trouble making calls going forward. It would be disheartening to see you leave the VZW family because of this.

One of the first things we want to do is establish where this is happening. Are you having these dropped calls in one location or several? Does it more happen indoors or outdoors? How often do the drops occur?

JohnT_VZW

If my response answered your question, please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for your inquiry, fjohansing. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing the same issue with dropped calls, especially since I have the XR and it works perfectly. One solution we can provide is to use WiFi calling when available. If we have to reset something to your specific area, we have to send a private message, to safely access your account. Here's a link to help with more troubleshooting questions for the XR: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/apple-iphone-xr-troubleshooting/#/main/device/&MT322LL%252FA....

TinaN_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Rjohns37
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been having exactly the same problem. Shut down the phone and restart then it’s fine. But soon goes back to doing the same thing. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are sorry to see that you are having the same issue with the phone calls dropping on your iPhone XR, Rjohns37. We know what a hassle it can be to deal with this type of issue, especially if it is a new device. Please go ahead and use the following link for the troubleshooting steps for you iPhone XR: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/apple-iphone-xr-troubleshooting/#/main/device/&MT322LL%252FA.... If you have already completed all of these steps, please let us know so that we can investigate this further for you. 

0 Likes
2Breezy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having/been having the same problems with my two new XRs I’ve had since end of January,  Verizon wants to give me refurbished phones. Is that how it was for you? 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

2Breezy,

We understand how important your phone is and how a dropped call can cause a headache for you. Your phone warranty covers any manufacturer defects as long as there is no damage to the device. The warranty process gives you a like new device. Did you already have your device replaced? You also have the option to visit an Apple store to have the device repaired, but that may take some time.

JenelleR_VZW

0 Likes