text conversation that I didn't have
Lmathias

I have a text conversation that I don't know who the number is and have never sent a text to.  Is it possible for someone to hack your number and have a text conversation with someone without you knowing? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: text conversation that I didn't have
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're concerned to learn you have a text conversation that you did not create, Lmathias. Let's take a closer look into what's going on. What is the make and model of your phone? What message app is in use? What is the date of the message thread? Is it possible this is an old contact that was deleted?

DanielleR_VZW 

0 Likes
Lmathias

It's an iPhone 7 plus and I am using the apple message app with multiple dates from the thread. Again I don't know the number and never had a text conversation with it.

0 Likes
Lmathias

Should I do a factory reset or wouldn't that take care of the problem?  Can someone hack my phone buy just knowing the number?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

A factory data reset can certainly do the trick. Please make sure you content is save before making such move. Getting hacked is always a risk in this day an age, however, it is extremely rare and hard to happen by just knowing the number.

0 Likes
Lmathias

What kind of information would the person need to have in order to gain that kind of access?  What steps can I take to insure that it doesn't happen again?

0 Likes
Lmathias

Can anyone in customer support offer me any suggestions?

0 Likes
Lmathias

has this happened to anybody else?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Lmathias, we don't have any concrete evidence for you about hacking but here are some helpful steps. Here is a link with additional information:  https://www.verizon.com/info/digital-security/what-to-do-if-hacked/  

-TakendraW-VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes