Why Is My iPhone 7 Factory Locked?
jcs72

I thought all Verizon Wireless iphones since iphone 5 are factory unlocked out of the box. I read somewhere that Verizon's agreement with FCC actually requires them to keep it unlocked. Though when I bought an iphone 7 last November from a authoritized Verizon wireless dealer/retailer in San Jose on a contract plan I went to Doctor SIM out of curiosity to do a check on the phone status, I was unpleasantly surprised to see that my iphone 7 is listed as "locked"! I was surprised how could this be, arn't Verizon iphones  starting from 5 always unlocked out of the box no matter what? and when I contacted Verizon they stated that I will need to pay off the phone competely before they will unlock it. I feel that I must have been scammed in someway by that dealer as every forum on the Internet would state that Verizon is the best as all their phones are unlocked out of the box no matter what. Though I am even more disturbed that Verizon would impose conditions rather than correct the issue immediately. Otherwise I had mostly great experiences with Verizon as I had been a loyal customer for many years.

I don't know how accurate Doctor SIMs information is and don't know whether it means its locked in both CDMA side and GSM bands or just CDMA locked but GSM unlocked. I would be curious that if I did not do the check before I took the phone overseas (since they all should be unlocked right) and try to put in a local SIM would I had been out of luck?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why Is My iPhone 7 Factory Locked?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Verizon iPhone is SIM unlocked from the factory.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Verizon iPhone is SIM unlocked from the factory.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jcs72

This is why I am puzzled when Doctor SIM's phone status checkup on this iphone comes up as the phone is "locked" I am guessing it might have been a false positive on the phone locking check.

0 Likes
vladyslav

Good night...need help where to write what would I unblocked verizon that could use neverlock itself from Ukraine really need neverlock .my [Removed]

personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes