Slow JetPack WiFi Speed
Waynex2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Long story...I went 100% with Verizon 2-3 years ago. Live in a rural area and the signal is weakish so I have been using signal boosters to make my inside office phone and JetPack wifi service acceptably functional...and it has been till two days ago. The typical speed tests would show 5 Mb down and 2 Mb up but last couple of days the upload speed has tanked to less than 1 MB. 

The confusing part for me is the fact signal strength from the booster is consistently ± -50 dB. That's not a typo... -50. I got tired of guessing and bought a "meter" to confirm signal strength.

I know there's more to data transfer than just signal strength; like something I recently found referred to as SNR...Signal-To-Noise-Ratio. I ain't got a meter to measure "noise" but nothing electrically in the immediate environment has changed to my knowledge.

One additional oddity...at the same time the wifi speed tanked, the iPhone "bars" went from 2/4 to 4/4. And I know phone signal strength bars can be misleading but the bar increase and speed decrease seem more than coincidence.

My location is 32.9674180, -86.8660718...that means nothing to me but somebody at Verizon does.

Thanks in advance for any assistance...

Wayne

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow JetPack WiFi Speed
Waynex2
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's a Cel-Fi GO X and is registered. Everything is connecting, otherwise, I wouldn't have a Wi-Fi inside the home. However...

The next day after posting my question, things got back near nominal/typical/average up and download speeds, though the speed test on my iPhone shows faster upload on the boosted LTE signal than with the JetPack Wi-Fi signal.    

'Course it's never been consistent...some hours on some days, I can get crazy fast speeds and other hours on other days, not so much. My concern this time was due to the fact the slow speed period was consistent for 3 days.

3-4 Mb down is fine for what I do but I need at least 1 Mb up to do what I need to do...

Thanks for your reply...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Waynex2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I just discovered the JetPack displays SNR as well as signal strength...

The SNR is bouncing around 0 going plus and minus single digit values. The signal strength is weaker (-90)  than my signal strength meter shows. 

😕

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Waynex2, it's important to us that your devices are functioning properly. We can definitely troubleshoot your devices when it comes to how they're running when on our network but we would have difficulty with troubleshooting them via the booster unless it's one that we provide. What booster device are you using? Is the booster registered on your account? Do your devices provide an indication that they're still connecting to your booster?

EbonyR_VZW

0 Likes
Waynex2
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's a Cel-Fi GO X and is registered. Everything is connecting, otherwise, I wouldn't have a Wi-Fi inside the home. However...

The next day after posting my question, things got back near nominal/typical/average up and download speeds, though the speed test on my iPhone shows faster upload on the boosted LTE signal than with the JetPack Wi-Fi signal.    

'Course it's never been consistent...some hours on some days, I can get crazy fast speeds and other hours on other days, not so much. My concern this time was due to the fact the slow speed period was consistent for 3 days.

3-4 Mb down is fine for what I do but I need at least 1 Mb up to do what I need to do...

Thanks for your reply...

0 Likes