Phone not recognizing saved contacts/phone numbers
katharine2011
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since October when I updated to iOS 12, my iPhone 7 started having issues with phone numbers that may or may not have the country code (+1 for US) saved to their contact. The majority have been SMS and MMS messaging including group chats. However, it occurs with iPhone numbers or iMessages as well. Randomly, it will not recognize a phone number as being a saved contact. It will also not recognize My OWN NUMBER and I will receive my own message back to myself--so regular two way text messages because "3-way group chats" between the recipient, myself, and myself. The contacts are saved in the icloud, but I tried switching them to other locations--on the phone, google account, etc-- and there was no difference.

When this first happened, I thought it was an iOS error-- so did Apple who I contacted back in November. They assured me their engineers were working on it and an update would be coming to fix the problem. 9 months and iOS 12.3.1 later, they are now pointing me towards Verizon for assistance. I've done soft resets daily to weekly to monthly, I've reset my network settings, I've done factory resets from backups, and started completely from scratch with full data reset. AND IT STILL KEEPS HAPPENING.

I don't know what else to do. Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Phone not recognizing saved contacts/phone numbers
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand how frustrating this can be with having this happen to your contacts and messaging service. We are here to help. Are you restoring your information from the iCloud backup or iTunes? Have you tried to delete the contact and re-add them manually?  AlbertoR_VZW

0 Likes
katharine2011
Enthusiast - Level 2

Alberto--

I've tried restoring from the cloud and iTunes. And it's not ONE contact-- IT's EVERY CONTACT. 

0 Likes
katharine2011
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sir—

the short answer is yes to all. 

As I said, I have tried deleting contacts, recreating them from scratch, and saving them to different locations. I have tried restoring from iCloud backups, iTunes backups, I even wiped my phone entirely and started from scratch. Which made it worse. It’s not just one contact or phone number — IT IS ALL OF THEM. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the additional information, in this case, we would like to get in contact with you to better assist you. If you could provide us with the best number to reach you at, and time (including time zone) we'll be glad to further look into this.

AlfredoL_VZW

0 Likes
katharine2011
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will send my contact information in a private message.

I most recently found a temporary fix on the internet that suggested a glitch between Verizon and iOS. For some reason, my phone's settings region got changed even though it appears as US the phone thinks it's settings is elsewhere-- more specifically for me The Netherlands. While I hear Amsterdam and the Hague are lovely this time of year, neither me nor my phone have every been there. The internet suggested choosing a different region, doing a soft reset, and then selecting US as the region again after restarting. It seems to have worked at least for today made me not want to throw my phone out a window.

0 Likes