Data is being used when i have data turned off?
GeorgeVerizonStinks

Typical, Verizon has apparently figured a way to overcharge for Data Usage even when you have WiFi enabled and accessible. I know based on the times of usage and the connections in place. RipOff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data is being used when i have data turned off?
boringusername
Master - Level 1

The times on your bill on when data useage is reported to Verizon from the tower not when it's actually used. In some cases it's the same time in some cases it could be hours later. Verion is not trying to scam you. You want to avoid overages you could simply enable safety mode. If Verizon wanted oveage money they wouldn't have safety more or unlimtied plans for that matter. Also iPhones are notorious for turning off wi-fi and re-enabling mobile data espeically when idle

0 Likes
Dream_Snatcher
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am experiencing the same strange magical phenominal. Inquiring minds would truely like to know why!

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@Dream_Snatcher wrote:

I am experiencing the same strange magical phenominal. Inquiring minds would truely like to know why!

Nothing magical. iphones turn wi-fi when the phone sits idle. they've doe this for years. Also make sure you don't have any background apps running. And make sure you apps only update via wi-fi or manually.

0 Likes
freddurst321
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have 3 iphones on a plan and experience the same issue. I have resorted to turning off my cellular at night. Last month my daughter's phone used 287 MB of data between 12:01 AM and 6:00 AM while she is asleep and the phone is on WiFi.

Don't try to tell me that the reporting times are not correct. When we shut off cellular completely at night, somehow these bogus reporting times cease... and yes background app refresh is off, Wi-Fi boost is off, etc.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

freddurst321, being on top of your data is crucial, especially if you are administering your usage on your three Apple iPhones. We would have been just as surprised as you if we saw data usage in our daughter's line, during the time of day when data is supposed to be off. Since when have you had this problem? Any recent changes (new apps, new update, etc)? Do you use or are aware of our parental controls?

GilbertoL_VZW

0 Likes