Very hesitant to do Verizon Wireless iPhone 6 Trade-In Program
iphone_lover
Enthusiast - Level 2

On September 28, 2014 I ordered an iPhone 6 for my wife and signed up for the iPhone 6 Trade-In Promotion. My wife's iPhone 4 was "appraised" for $200 online and Verizon mailed the extremely flimsy tiny envelope for my wife to mail her iPhone 4 to Verizon for her  "$200" Electronic Gift Card. First of all, the tiny little envelope is so flimsy and contains very little bubble wrap. It offers very little protection and I can easily see the screen breaking during the mailing process when it is such a poor envelope. In addition, there is no tracking information whatsoever on the envelope. If the iPhone 4 gets lost or broken, adios $200. My wife's iPhone 4 is in Excellent Pristine condition but I am very hesitant for my wife to take part in this program because of all of the horror stories I have been reading on the Verizon forums (please see links attached below) or on the internet. People who took part in the program are reporting of lost or broken phones but they were in perfect condtion when they were mailed. Furthermore, there are stories of "Find My Phone" not being turned off even when people have photos of the process. People have even taken photos or videos of the condition of their phone upon mailing to Verizon but this doesn't seem to help.

At this point I am probably going to try to sell my wife's iPhone 4 on eBay because we can't take the risk of getting $20 or less instead of the $200. I am surprised more of these stories haven't gotten to the mainstream press. It would be good if some news station like CBS or NBC would cover the mounting complaints. I am thinking of writing an email to some head honcho at Verizon and venting my concern to tell him why us 20+ year Verizon customers probably won't take part in the program.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Very hesitant to do Verizon Wireless iPhone 6 Trade-In Program
iphone_lover
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a photo of the very flimsy envelope that Verizon Wireless provides to ship the iPhone which is being traded in to Verizon. There is very little Bubble Wrap inside this VERY FLIMSY TINY envelope. No wonder iPhones are lost or being delivered broken to Verizon.

env.jpg

I might re-consider taking part in this iPhone Trade-In program if a Verizon Customer Representative monitoring this board reaches out to a manager at my local Verizon Wireless Store in Trumbull, CT and allows me to bring in the iPhone for an immediate $200 credit since my wife has already bought the iPhone 6. With the flimsy envelope which has no tracking I am afraid of the consequences it will bring if I use it. I am not about to spend countless hours with Customer Reps on the phone if I use the envelope and I don't get the $200 credit because the phone gets damaged in the mail or lost by Verizon. This is Verizon's chance to reach out to me so they don't lose me as customer. Let them make the effort to allow me to do this rather than me having to get the run around thru phone calls, being put on hold, and unaswered emails.

I have been a loyal customer for over 20 years. For the last several years my family of 4 has been paying close to $250 per month for Verizon Wireless services. I am going to strongly consider switching to AT&T after our contracts expire. AT&T has a Bring Your Own Device montly plan which would cost us only $160 per month vs. $237 per month we are paying Verizon. This potential $77 per month savings and Verizon's iPhone Trade-In joke of a program is what will push us over the edge to switch.

iphone_lover
Enthusiast - Level 2

I might add that my wife's 32 GB iPhone 4 is in EXCELLENT condtion and has been kept in an Otterbox Defender since Day 1. Her iPhone 4 looks and works like Brand New.

0 Likes
misterskippy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Was browsing the forum and saw your post. Looks like you didn't get a response -- what did you end up doing?

As for myself, my envelopes never came (actually they did arrive, but weeks -after- I had requested them) so I went down to a local Verizon store to turn my phones in once the new ones arrived. Had to wait 10-15 minutes, but eventually left with a couple of print outs with my gift card credits from the trade-in.

0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

Nice to hear that someone actually had luck with the trade in program.  Lots of people were not as fortunate as you. 

0 Likes
misterskippy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Was curious about your comment and read up on it a little...just have to say wow, I certainly didn't realize how many problems people had with the trade-in program. Certainly more grateful now than ever that my trade-in envelopes never arrived on time and that I had to go to a b&m store.

0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

The trade in program was a disaster from the beginning.  Lots of people took huge hits on their phones or never received credit at all.  There were many claims of the program claimin that the condition of folks phone were different than what they remembered sending in.  I even remember reading post where people went from $200 down to $36...and had no choice but to accept because they surely weren't gettig their phone back.  Sure, there may have been some people trying to side step the system...but there were many, many post, and I'd have a hard time believing that the vast majority of those folks were trying to mislead VZW.

0 Likes