Verizon Voicemail vs. Apple's Visual Voicemail
staniel

I recently learned that nobody can leave me a voicemail when they call - they get a message that my inbox is full.  I then deleted all the voicemails that appear on my iPhone 6 when I click the phone app.  I also emptied the entire 'deleted messages' folder.  After doing this, I still get the 'inbox is full' message when I call my cell or when someone else does.  I then decided to call *86 to see if that inbox still worked, but I figured it didn't.  I assumed that when I purchased my first iPhone (2011) all voicemails were simply directed to the iPhone's version of 'visual voicemail' instead of having to call *86 to receive messages.  The reason I suspected this is because I remember a VZW rep telling me back when I bought my first iPhone that my old messages would all be deleted because the iPhone used a 'different type' of voicemail, and that I would no longer use the *86 method.  Anyway, much to my surprise, when I dialed *86 I found out that I currently have 40 saved messages.  I listened to the first message (which should be the most recent, right?) and it was from February 12th of 2012; so the remaining 39 must be from earlier dates.

How can this be?  I've always had an iPhone since that initial purchase in 2011.  Why would some voicemails get 'trapped' in the *86 box, while others go straight to visual voicemail?  Also, if this *86 inbox is full, and that's what's causing people to not be able to leave me messages, shouldn't my inbox have been full since the date of that last message, Feb. 12th 2012?  I've received hundreds of voicemails since then.  So, why, all of a sudden, is my inbox magically considered 'full' when the status of the *86 VM hasn't changed in nearly 5 years?

I really don't want to have to delete these 40 messages because I know it will take forever and because I don't understand how they could truly be the issue.  How the [Removed] did they even get there?  What determines whether or not someones VM goes to *86 or the iOS VM?

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Voicemail vs. Apple's Visual Voicemail
DLRGroup0248

I'm REALLY annoyed to find out that the "Basic Voicemail" populates with messages, EVEN IF YOU DELETE ALL MESSAGES IN VISUAL VOICEMAIL. I did not sign up for Basic, I am paying extra for Visual to avoid the whole "*86, password, intro-message, voicemail" time wasting process. So now I have to periodically sign into *86, try to remember my password, and delete all 40 voicemails ONE BY ONE. Ridiculous.

That said, for anyone else discovering this ridiculous, client unfriendly situation, I discovered that you don't have to listen to the entire message before pressing '7' to delete. Immediately after hearing "Next message, delivered on..." hit 7. Yes, you have to do that for every voicemail, but it would take 10 times as long if you listen to the entire intro-message (the reason I don't have Basic) and then the message itself.

Verizon, you need to fix this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being able to clear your voicemail should be easy, DLRGroup0248. Deleting your voicemails permanently in visual voicemail should not result in them being available by dialing *86. So we can check into this further, is this happening on an iPhone or with a different make and model phone? What steps do you take to delete the messages in the visual voicemail app?

LynnD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DLRGroup0248

Hi, Lynn.

I have an iPhone. To delete Visual VMs, I select them, delete them, then clear the deleted voicemails.

After getting multiple clients and colleagues telling me my VM box was full after I had deleted them, I checked *86 and found 40 VMs. The most recent we're from May 2017.

Thanks for responding. I hope this can be corrected.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the details. We want to make sure this is fixed. What model iPhone do you have? Are your device and application in use on the most recent software available? You mentioned paying extra for this service. Do you have the $2.99 feature currently active?

JavierMD_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this! 

0 Likes
DLRGroup0248

I have an iPhone 6s, and it's paid for by my company so I don't know billing or plan info. On my personal phone I pay extra for Visual Voicemail.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the helpful information, DLRGroup0248. It's important we get to the bottom of this for you. On your voicemail app, there is an option for deleted messages when you scroll all the way down. Please make sure you delete all messages from here. This should fully clear the box. Please let us know how this goes.

DanielleR_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DLRGroup0248

Yes, this is the second step I referred to previously. I deleted the voicemails, then cleared from the deleted folder. Visual voicemail was showing empty, with none in the deleted folder, yet colleagues were telling me my voicemail was full. That's when I discovered 40 voicemails in the *86 box. The latest one was from back in May 2017.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DLRGroup0248

Thank you for attempting those steps, we definitely want you to be able to have messages left for you so that you can stay in touch. When you dial *86 and the messages are still there, are you given the option to delete them here?

EdwardL_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the  Correct Answer  button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes