*TEMPORARY FIX* iPhone 6 Owners Suffering From Poor Reception
DLM95

i got my iphone 6 a week ago and i noticed i had dropped calls, people on the other end said i sounded fuzzy, and my data throttled from 1-2 bars of LTE to 3 bars of 3G and Full bars of 1x. i noticed i was not the only person suffering from this. some say its a hardware issue i believe its the VoLTE feature and software. i had gone to a verizon store and no change.i remembered i had gotten a text saying i activated advanced calling aka "VoLTE". people said i sounded distorted on phone calls and even in my widely covered LTE area my data speed was struggling. what i decided to do was since i knew VoLTE is still new and could have issues i decided to go to my plan and remove advanced calling. its an iphone so facetime and the great reliability of verizon showed no means to have the alternative for facetime or any regular phone call in my plan. i removed the advanced calling feature and now im getting LTE EVERYWHERE. what you do is you remove it from your plan features, after you remove advanced calling from your plan you go to settings on your iphone and cellular-->enable LTE---> DATA ONLY. you can keep roaming for voice and data on with no charge as long as you do not travel out of the US. it worked great for me and if anyone has this problem with their iphone 6 i suggest you give it a shot im having no issues now and my iphone 6 is working perfect, hope this helps

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: *TEMPORARY FIX* iPhone 6 Owners Suffering From Poor Reception
Infensus
Enthusiast - Level 2

So - I am not sure what you removed from your plan as a whole, however there are directions from Verizon bundled with the new phones saying what to do if you have poor sound quality/reception.

Step 6 in the quick start guide says "Turn on Advanced Calling" and also has a warning "As a first generation service [..] calling experience may differ..."

Anyhow - to turn it off is per the directions you gave (and also included in the quick-start guide).  The new service is to allow Verizon iPhone users to have both voice and data usage at the same time without requiring wifi.  Basically, what AT&T and T-Mobile have been offering their iPhone users since day 1.

Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE > Voice & Data (the new first generation that may cause issues for people)

If having issues change to:

Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE > Data Only

The guide says nothing about changing anything on plans to modify this.

0 Likes
btcompute
Contributor - Level 2

Infensus,

It is interesting to see you write: "there are directions from Verizon bundled with the new phones saying what to do if you have poor sound quality/reception". I never received any such directions from Verizon with my new account and phones.

Thanks for explaining advanced calling. The Verizon salesperson never mentioned anything about it. Wonder what else I wasn't told.

0 Likes
Infensus
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone came with a red folder titled "Start Here".  Within it was the quick-start and a another document titled "How to activate your new iPhone."

I found the information in that document.

btcompute
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks!

We never got either one.

0 Likes
DLM95

Iphone 6 comes standard with advanced calling but what im saying is you can take advanced calling off of your plan its a free feature. Advanced calling mightve been out for at&t for a while but advanced calling is still relatively new for verizon it probably has a bug that ties with iphone software that slows reception. If you want to put it back on in the future you can its free. But to take it off you go to plan features on the my verizon app and you remove advanced calling 1.0. My calls stopped dropping and my data stays on a fast and solid LTE signal. And no just putting your LTE to data only WITHOUT removing advanced caling will not help. your phone is running off of the advanced calling feature which i truly believe is the culprit to everyones iphone 6 cell issues on verizon. I took it off and it helped tremendously and saved me a trip to the apple store to get an exchange. Like i said try it out if it didnt work you can put arvanced calling back on your plan for free its no cost. After you take it off go to settings on your phone cellular->Enable LTE-> Data only. Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Droppedcallsnyc

Does this fix still work?  Does it take a while for the change to take effect?  About 5 minutes after I made the change you suggested, I had another dropped call and poor call quality.

0 Likes
DLM95

Yes its still working for me, make sure you have LTE Set on data only not voice and data. And try having the roaming settings on voice and data and uncheck international CDMA. You shouldve gotten a notification on your phone saying advanced calling was disabled. If that didnt work than try getting a sim tool or a paperclip that fits and try ejecting your sim for 30 secs than putting it back in. And Reset the NETWORK settings. If that didnt help than my suggestions would be to wait till iOS 8.1.1 which is supposed to come supposedly by the end of the week. if that update doesnt help try going to a verizon store and see if getting your sim card swapped helps, if it doesnt than i suggest you take your phone to an apple store and get it replaced. This tip helped me tons but alot of people are having factory defects with their iphone 6 because they are still early in the first batch so they wont be perfect. But try what i suggested and let me know how it goes, hope it helps.

0 Likes
Droppedcallsnyc

Thanks!  I got a new iphone from the apple store and then got my sim card replaced at the verizon store.  Will let you all know if I continue to have issues.  The person I spoke with at the Verizon store acknowledged that in certain areas, the VoLTE signal is still weak as the network is being built out.

0 Likes