Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 11.6K Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
Question regarding texting on iphone6 without mobile data
atomarchio1
Contributor - Level 1

We have a family plan and one of the phones is an iphone6.  

This iphone 6 has exceeded the allowed mobile data for the month (as set in the Smart Family data usage)

Can this phone still receive texts from me (using S7 Edge) even when not connected to a wifi network?  If so, how can we do this?

Please let me know.  Thanks.

Angelo

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Question regarding texting on iphone6 without mobile data
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You’ve come to the right place for the ins-and-outs of how texting will work after they’ve reached there data limit, atomarchio1. I have great news. Texts do not use data. This means that when you send one to the iPhone, it will be delivered. The opposite (iPhone to S7 Edge) is true as well.

Are you able to message back and forth when off wi-fi?

David_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
atomarchio1
Contributor - Level 1

When wifi is off on the iphone6 the texts do not appear.   However, when the iphone6 finally connects to wifi all of the texts arrive at the same time.

I am trying to understand if there is a way for the iphone6 to receive the text right away prior to reconnecting to wifi.

Is there a way to do this?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Does this happen with all messages or just iMessages? Can you make sure that your cellular data is turned on when you are not connected to Wi-Fi?

0 Likes
atomarchio1
Contributor - Level 1

yes, cellullar data setting is tuned on.

however, we can't send/receive text once the mobile data limit has been reached.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Making sure that your messaging service is working right is a must. To clarify, iMessaging uses data and if data is restricted it will not work. Regular Text Messages do not use data, so this should not be restricted when data limit is reached unless it is a Group Text Message. Is this group messaging that you are experiencing a problem with? To ensure that iMessaging is not causing interference, please turn this off. Go to settings> Messages> iMessage. Have the user try to send/receive messages when not connected to Wi-Fi and let us know how it works.

Alberto_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
atomarchio1
Contributor - Level 1

So the iphone6 cannot group text at all (even sms) once data limit is reached?  Is that correct?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

A group text message is a MMS message that needs data access to be sent.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Atomarchio1, you should be able to send these types of messages even through your data limit has been reached. Please try disconnecting from the wifi and let us know if you're able to send this type of message. 

CecileC_VZW

0 Likes
atomarchio1
Contributor - Level 1

I can send an individual text.

Thanks.

0 Likes