Is the defective headphone jack on the iPhone 6 covered under manufactures warranty?
LOGGRE13

The headphone jack on my phone is faulty and I have not had a chance to get into a store to have it looked at.

I have reason to believe that it is a manufacture's defect because the headphones work on both channels when partially pulled out, but when the 3.5mm jack is pushed all of the way in only functions on the right channel. After searching online I found that this is a somewhat common issue because the jack was manufactured incorrectly, and when the jack is completely inserted it grounds out one channel on the aluminum body of the phone.

First question, is this a common issue? Second, is it covered by the manufacture's defect warranty?

Thanks in advance!

-Logan

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is the defective headphone jack on the iPhone 6 covered under manufactures warranty?
deloused
Master - Level 3

Manufacturer defects are covered by the warranty. The 6 models were designed to fit headsets that are 3 conductor, unlike some other models that could fit 4. Any apple certified headset will still work on the 6 models, so the boxes would be labeled with 'Made for iPhone'. Some third party headset makers also provide silicone o rings to slide on the headset plug to fit both types of 3.5mm diameter jacks.

Re: Is the defective headphone jack on the iPhone 6 covered under manufactures warranty?
LOGGRE13

That seems rather unethical, but that's beside the point.

I have a pair of Apple certified earbuds (similar to these: iHome iB18 Noise Isolating Metal Earphones with In-line Mic, Remote and Pouch) and they don't work. The earbuds that came with it (Apple earbuds) dont work either.

This shouldn't be a problem, and I say this because this problem doesn't occur in any other models of the iPhone.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Definitely a jack issue as you tested multiple headsets, including apple ones. The design reason apple gave was to save space/size in the device. They've also patented and tested a 2mm diameter jack and headset design for future models to save more space, like how they cut down on the charging/data port size to keep weight down as the overall technology in the devices increase.

0 Likes
BrownSugar67
Contributor - Level 3

I had a issue with my headphone jack and Apple replaced because the phone was still under warranty.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Assuming nothing that voids the warranty is the issue (such as water damage or foreign objects in the Jack area) then yes this would be covered under warranty. If it were a known defect with that model and a recall had been issued then it would be repaired even if it weren't under warranty anymore. Not sure how widespread the issue is as I've never experienced it with any of the iPhone 6 or 6s models in my home...nor has anyone that I know. But just go to your local Apple Store (or call if you don't have one in your area) and initiate a warranty repair.

0 Likes
kcdad
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you keep your phone in your pocket its possible that some lint worked its way into the phone jack. It happened to me and the way to dislodge it is to force some air into it to free it up.

0 Likes