Can someone who has my number and name do anything malicious, besides calling or texting me?
lnachtigal
Enthusiast - Level 1

I know, I know, I'm a bit paranoid. However, today at work I met a complete stranger that I really hit it off with immediately. We talked for a long while, then he handed me his phone, which was also an iPhone 6s Plus like mine. He had his keypad pulled up, he told me to dial my number. I did, as he seemed like a pretty stand up guy. He then called my number, it rang at least once, then he hung up. While I attempted to resume what I was working on, he asked for my full name, I assume to create a contact from my number he dialed. When I got off of work, I opened my phone, but didn't see any calls or missed calls anywhere at all. Again, this guy seemed pretty legit, however there was something that seemed just a tad off about him. He now has my number and my full name. I haven't received any calls or texts at all from this man. So, I am doubting he will bother me. However, being a bit weary of strangers, would he be able to do anything with my number and name that might be malicious? I know he could call me, text me, give my information out, or try to add me on social media. Is there anything else that can be done with one's number though? I was reading on Google about how a phone could possibly get hacked if someone had your number. I don't know if this is true or not. A big reason I am paranoid of this, is that he told me he was a hardware and software developer of systems for a manufacturing company that he wouldn't specify. He also told me he wanted my number for a job or task he thought I could possibly help him with if I was interested. Not being incredibly tech savvy mmyself, those kind of people sometimes freak me out a bit. So, is there anything bad he could do to me, besides maybe bothering me, with the information that I provided? Really, if he texts or calls me I will respond. I will tread lightly though, without giving him any more of my information. I may actually become good friends with this guy, however due to being scammed in the past I am very hesitant to giveaaway any of my information, unless I am very good friends with that individual.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Can someone who has my number and name do anything malicious, besides calling or texting me?
Weth
Legend

As long as he didn't touch your phone and you only entered your number in his, You are ok. 

Re: Can someone who has my number and name do anything malicious, besides calling or texting me?
lnachtigal
Enthusiast - Level 1

I received a very bizarre Facebook friend request, from a girl's account that looked fake, whom I do not know. I deleted the request immediately. I have received these types of requests a few times before, so I don't know if this would be related. Hopefully, I don't recieve anymore of these. I haven't received any calls or texts though. The whole thing just felt a little odd, but as a nice guy wanting more opportunities, I decided what the heck. The weirdest part about it was probably the fact that even though he called me, I didn't receive any calls or missed calls. I don't know how many times it would have to ring to see this though, as it may have been only once. Anyway, thanks. I'll still remain nice to people, and remain open about possible job opportunities, but will tread both lightly and cautiously.

0 Likes