Can I use wi-fi only when traveling?
Yumadons
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm traveling to Belize and only want to use wifi  there. Are there changes I need to make in Settings so I don't incur unexpected charges or allow random people in airports to hack into my phone? Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Avoiding charges during travel
Weth
Legend

1st click on settings.  Select cellular. Select Cellular data options. Make sure Voice & Data is selected. Now go back to main settings screen.  Scroll down until you see Phone and select that.  Now select wi-fI calling and turn it on.  You'll need to enter your home address for 911 purposes.  Let me know if that doesn't work. 

My little one in the pic is a rescue dog.  She gets lots of love to make up for her early tough life. 

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Yumadons, that sounds like a great trip! I understand you wanting to avoid international charges, and hacking. Lets get you covered.

When traveling internationally, you want to make sure you us Airplane mode when you are not under U.S. coverage. You can still access a wifi connection with Airplane mode active.

You also want to turn your cellular data off in the Settings. That way you don't get any data charges.

You can find more travel information here >> http://vz.to/1OAXhTH

MarcusSS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

Weth
Legend

You do not say which phone you have. With some of the newer phones that support wifi calling, you could have full Verizon service while in Belize (as long as you are on free wifi) with free phones calls to and from home and text messages to and from home no charge.

Regardless if you have a newer phone that supports wifi calling or not, what you want to do is put the phone in airplane mode and do not turn off airplane mode until you get back home. When you arrive in Belize, turn on only wifi when you needed. it. Since the only way to prevent hackers 100% is to have a phone with no connections to the outside world, only turn on wifi when you need it.

If you tell us what phone you have, someone can tell you if it supports the wifi calling or not.

Yumadons
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Weth & Verizon Wireless customer support. It's an iphone 6+. I've been told I can make free calls using Facebook Messenger with wifi?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Yumadons,

Great question. Facebook calling does use a data connection. If you are on WIFI, then it uses the WIFI connection and that is free. You do need to be in a place the has free WIFI service and make sure you are connected. Turning Airplane Mode on is a great idea. This will let you know that if it does not work, then it will require cellular service and their will be a charge. Did you want to look at our Global Plans for options http://vz.to/1DNcHW8 when you do not have WIFI?

JenelleR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

There is even better option now.  Make sure you update to the latest iOS version.  Then go into settings phone and turn on wifi calling.  do the airplane mode like I said.  Now with wifi calling on, when you get to Belize and turn on wifi, you should see VZW Wi-Fi in the upper left corner where Verizon usually is.  You now can call and text, just as if you were at home and no roaming or other charges.  Don't call a number in Belize as that would be considered long distance.  Remember if you see the VZW Wi-Fi, it is just like you are at home.  You can receive calls to and there is no roaming charge or minutes. As soon as you leave wifi, the connection will drop, it will only work while you are on wifi.  You are never on the Belize cell network, so no charges. That is better than Facebook calling, as it is your real phone number. 

Yumadons
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Weth, I hope you're still out there. I updated my iphone 6+ to 9.3.1. But I don't see "wifi calling" anywhere in the settings. Where can I find it?

Love your profile pic ❤️  My Belize trip is a volunteer vet spay/ neuter mission to Ambergris Caye. All my luggage is dog crates (packed with supplies) to leave behind for flying shelter dogs off the island to new homes.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

1st click on settings.  Select cellular. Select Cellular data options. Make sure Voice & Data is selected. Now go back to main settings screen.  Scroll down until you see Phone and select that.  Now select wi-fI calling and turn it on.  You'll need to enter your home address for 911 purposes.  Let me know if that doesn't work. 

My little one in the pic is a rescue dog.  She gets lots of love to make up for her early tough life. 

Yumadons
Enthusiast - Level 2

Done. You rock! Thank you

0 Likes