replacement iPhone5 is forced to be locked to Verizon?
vsaber

So I heard verizon iphone5s are unlocked out of the box from various sources...

Due to defects, I got replacement iPhone out of white box at apple store yesterday and while activating it, I noticed extra locking step that wasn't present when I activated original phone earlier.

While activating it told me to,

1. choose national carrier that I want my phone to be locked to.

2. only option I could choose was verizon

3. I selected it and it gave me warning "This can not be undone"

4. I had to lock my phone in order to pass the step.

So, am I screwed as international traveller?

Do people who got their iphone shipped directly from apple.com had this step too?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: replacement iPhone5 is forced to be locked to Verizon?
MarkInAZ88
Enthusiast - Level 2

The first iPhone 5 I got was shipped directly from Verizon and I did not have that step.  It came with damage so I had to take it back to Apple.  The one they gave me forced me to lock it to Verizon.  I would ask Verizon to unlock it as it is not supposed to come locked...  I don't use mine internationally so I haven't checked into it.  Please let the forum community know what happens.

0 Likes
raj25

What does the Model Number say in Settings -> general -> About ? Mine says ND643LL !! I thought model numbers start with "MD" instead of "ND".

0 Likes
MarkInAZ88
Enthusiast - Level 2

ND122LL

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
vsaber

ND144LL

what does that mean?

I have white 32G replaced verizon model

0 Likes
MarkInAZ88
Enthusiast - Level 2

Black iPhone 5 Verizon 32GB

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
jhn168

I had my 32G iPhone 5 replaced too today at the Apple Store for technical issues. This is also the same experience I had. There was a prompt during activation of the replacement phone to lock it to Verizon. I didn't have this step when I activated the original phone. How and where can we raise this concern? Apple or Verizon? I gave up my unlimited data plan due to this upgrade and now, they're trying to control us to be exclusive to them?

0 Likes
dartmouth14

I have the same experience here - does anyone have any solutions?

0 Likes
Wallyworld83

I went to Apple yesterday and they said that if you take out $100 insurance plan with them that they would replace for free but Verizon did not tell me that when i got phone.  I would rather insured for just $100.00 then monthly on my verizon account.

0 Likes