iPhone 5S Call quality issues - Are they resolved?
wildcat2
Contributor - Level 1

Hi folks,

So long story short, I was previously a VZW customer with an iPhone 5S. When I was a customer, everything worked great, except one thing, Calls.

What would happen during is:

1) The calls would sound metallic/robotic

2) the calls would sort of go in and out (for example I would hear: " Yeah ... Fun at... Saturday)

(Both 1 and 2 would happen indoors and outdoors)

3) Calls would drop

So like any reasonable person, I called into Customer Service and was offered a Network Extender for $199. This did help indoors for the most part, but not outside (like literally outside my building; out of range perhaps?)

I read of others having the same issues here, so I knew I wasn't alone, but there was just no solution to the problem. I thought it was my iPhone at first. However, I ported out to AT&T and the calls were crystal clear compared to VZW. So that kinda confirmed it's not my phone.

My zip code is 10453 (and this area has great coverage according to the coverage map, but I couldn't get any more than 3 bars of LTE outside and 1-2 indoors). My question is, has this issue been resolved? If so how can I improve it? Honestly looking forward to being a VZW customer again, despite no simultaneous talk and surf on the iPhone.

Thanks for any comments/solutions offered!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iPhone 5S Call quality issues - Are they resolved?
wildcat2
Contributor - Level 1

Ok so I just did a little more research on the issue and I think I figured out what's going on.

The issue does seem to be due to the call being made from CDMA to GSM or vice versa. Because EVRC is a little older, the algorithm is re coded on the GSM side so you would get, to put in basic terms, the equivalent to EVRC and Verizon's codec would go from EVRC-B to EVRC (older). You would then get the bad quality on the call on both sides.

However CDMA calls to another CDMA or landline would be fine. Only GSM seems to be affected. Not sure how this can be fixed though.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
wildcat2
Contributor - Level 1

Anyone? Has any experienced this issue and/ or improved/lessened the chance of it happening?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The coverage map only shows if there is coverage not the strength of the signal. Also the strength of the LTE doesn't factor into the voice calls yet. Voice calls still go through the 1xRTT CDMA network and might have a different level of strength compared to the LTE signal. The LTE signal won't factor in until Verizon Wireless starts using VoLTE later this year and will depend on if your device is capable of VoLTE.

The Verizon towers might be further away from you compared to the AT&T towers. Distance plus obstacles between you and the tower can all affect the quality of signal. Coverage both carriers isn't guaranteed inside of buildings as well. The building construction and/or wiring can degrade the signal too.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
wildcat2
Contributor - Level 1

Are there any plans to add like small cells or more towers if it's a spacing issue? (I know you don't work for Verizon but perhaps you've done research)

It honestly only seems like it's an iPhone 5/5s on Verizon. I don't know if it's because of the calls routing through 2G, but the calls in my experience between ATT and Verizon is a night and day difference 😕

0 Likes
wildcat2
Contributor - Level 1

Ok an update, it seems the cutting in and out on calls seem to happen when a call is placed to an att (gsm) phone. Is there any reason why it would do this?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wildcat2,

Oh no, I am sorry to hear call reception isn't what it should be when you call a AT&T phone. Does this happen everywhere or just one certain location? Does this happen indoors and outdoors? Is it happening when you make the call or receive a call from them?

KarenC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
wildcat2
Contributor - Level 1

When the person called me, I was indoors. I am the one with the ATT phone (wanting to switch to vzw) and never get this issue, not even when Sprint callers call me. The person who called me was outdoors and he has Verizon (zip: 10023)

The call was very choppy with the voice cutting in and out on his end, and the call was slightly metallic sounding. I could barely understand a word he was saying. The quality was exactly the same when I was with Verizon. At first I thought it was my phone, and now this confirms it never was my phone. I am truly convinced this is a notice cancellation issue with verizon because like I said, I never get this issue when Sprint users call me. It doesn't really matter who initiates the call, the quality is always the same, horrible.

I really want to be part of VZ but I can't if I am to expect these issues! Smiley Sad  please help. I don't know if it's congestion or just the call coding itself.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wildcat2, thanks for these details. No issues reported in New Jersey at this time. However, let's take a closer look at your device. We recommend that you reset the Network on your iPhone in Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network. Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
wildcat2
Contributor - Level 1

Both of the zip codes 10453 & 10023 are New York zip codes, not sure how Jersey pulled up for you folks.

That troubleshooting step did work when I had VZ but only temporarily. Could this be a tower congestion issue?

0 Likes
wildcat2
Contributor - Level 1

Ok so I just did a little more research on the issue and I think I figured out what's going on.

The issue does seem to be due to the call being made from CDMA to GSM or vice versa. Because EVRC is a little older, the algorithm is re coded on the GSM side so you would get, to put in basic terms, the equivalent to EVRC and Verizon's codec would go from EVRC-B to EVRC (older). You would then get the bad quality on the call on both sides.

However CDMA calls to another CDMA or landline would be fine. Only GSM seems to be affected. Not sure how this can be fixed though.

0 Likes