Wow Just Found Out About A Data Change
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

This past month I noticed my data usage increased significantly. Called Verizon and found out why. There is a change to data usage because of a glitch with the new iPhones. If you are home and connected to your home WIFI you are still using Verizon data, unless you go into settings and "turn off " data services. Same happens anywhere else you think you are connected to WIFI. BEWARE

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Wow Just Found Out About A Data Change
Snn5
Legend

And this whole time I thought it was just the iPhone reverting to Mobile Data and turning off WiFi to save battery power during idle periods.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
richie72846,

That certainly shouldn't be the case! It's important that your phone works the way it is supposed to. We haven't changed how we process data. By default if wi-fi is on data should be used over the wi-fi network. If mobile data is on and the wi-fi connection weakens the phone could switch over so turning mobile data off can help in some cases if you want to avoid using it but it shouldn't be needed in most cases. Are you having issues with your data usage?

AndrewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

richie72846,

That certainly shouldn't be the case! It's important that your phone works the way it is supposed to.

Actually that is EXACTLY how Apple decide the iPhone should work. They designed the iPhone to shut off during idle times. They think it saves battery even though having wi-fi off and 4G on uses more battery. So the iPhone isn't broken, it's working as it is supposed to work it's just that Apple idea of shutting off wi-fi was ill conceived.

0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

I know that my iP6+ disconnects from my WiFi when it's been idle for a while but reconnects the moment I wake my device.  I do pick up some very small incremental data usage during the night as I get pushed email notification and other updates from FB & twitter.  It has never amounted to very much...but definitely something to keep an eye out for.  Thanks for sharing.