Re: THE DATA USAGE ISSUE WITH THE IPHONE 5c
Tidbits
Legend

Really now... It has already been established multiple times it's an Apple issue. It happens on all carriers. If it was strictly a Verizon issue threads like this wouldn't exist. Yes there are more of these on other boards... So I think you need to do more research before spreading FUD around.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5840913

Bill21784
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK. See this info direct from the Apple Support website. The data issue is across multiple carriers.

IOS 8 High Cellular Data Usage | Apple Support Communities

Both of my kids had iPhone 4's which only used 1-2 GB per month. They upgraded to the iPhone 5 & 6 and each phone is now using 3-6 GB and we are STILL on Verizon. The carriers add their own software to the base IOS from Apple. Most of my Apple friends turn off Cellular Data until they need it whether they are on Verizon, ATT, Sprint, or T-Mobile. I have an Android on VZW and use it everyday for work email and directions (Waze) and last month I used 0.5 GB (iPhone uses 10x).

mama23dogs
Legend

Bill21784

Tidbits

Wow.  Some people really hate facts when they don't prove their point....

Whyisverizonscammingus

I Don't "bow down" or "get ripped off".   I get faulty devices fixed so they work they way they should.

IT cuts down on my whining and ranting a TON.

IF I can be accused of "shilling" for a corporation, it would be Apple (despite my previous post).  I own an iMac and a Mac mini, an iPod touch 5th gen, an iPad (using it now) an Apple TV, and AirPort Extreme base station with older AirPort Extreme and airport express routers for home wifi.  My kids have iPad and iPhones (5S) .

Apple has made some mistakes in the past few years (miss Steve Jobs).  The iPhone 5 was awful by Apple standards.  The iPhone 6 and 6+, Yosemite and ios8 are not perfect.  Previous IOS were also not perfect, but updates fixed the problems In software.

There are software glitches, but I am concerned with the iPhone 6 and 6+ hardware.  One of the most frequent complaints is the inability to connect and use home wifi, resulting in massive data overages.  Some phones appear to connect and show the wifi "fan", some refuse to connect.  If all other devices connect and use the same wifi easily, where is the fault?  ....in the wifi antenna in the iPhone or supporting software.

But, go ahead, pay off your phone and take it anywhere, the iPhone 6 can be used on any network.  If the problem persists without restoring or replacing the phone, please let us know we were correct.

Bill21784
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am not one to "bash" products. I was just trying to help with an issue or feature of the iPhone.

Steve Jobs created some GREAT products. But the quality of Apple products are not what they used to be and Apple is now in a catch up mode with other in the industry. The company has become more of a business to make money instead of building leading technology. The Apple watch soon to be released was due out 2 years ago, but now there are many other smart watches out there for a fraction of the cost ( $150 vs Apple $350/ $550 sport or $5000 gold). The mark up on Apple products does not justify the tech difference any more. Apple does have the leading sales in phones but only has a 14% mkt share while Andoird phone now have a 82% share.

Apple needs to go back to creating new products instead of satisfying investors.

mama23dogs
Legend

Bill,

Well put, I agree completely!

I give Apple credit for forging ahead, but at what cost?  Their reputation?   While Steve Jobs was in charge, the reputation was pretty hard to ding.  It seems much easier to dent these days.

Perhaps it is because our expectation and the competition is so high level?

I Am still convinced the law suit against Samsung was nonsense ( stronger wording being prohibited..)   I am still shocked that Apple says Samsung copied them, and then turns around and produces the iPhone 6 which looks a lot more like a Samsung.  ??  I think Jobs would have looked at Apple, and said, "what do we need to do better?"

I do think the commitment in the R&D department has gone off the target.  It is about, "what will people pay for?" rather than, "what can we do for people?"  I really question the end of the iPOD touch.  I assume sales of iPhones were up and iPod touch were down.  I have the 5th generation and still use it.  Kids still want it for games, etc.

The apple watch will be interesting...  Since the market is already floating with alternates, it has to be better, or it may fail.

The market share figures are world wide.... The U.S. market is more like 40% iPhone and 35+% android.

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-market-share.jsp

http://www.counterpointresearch.com/q12014marketmonitorusa

Tidbits
Legend

Actually it does and people don't understand the dynamics. One thing you CAN do with Apple products. If something goes wrong you can walk into an Apple Store with Apple employees who know Apple products. All of these places need to be paid. Try doing that with ANY competing company. That's one of the reasons for the "markup" as you put it. Also Apple does everything on their own from ground up. Sure Samsung builds a lot of Apple parts, but they are all Apple designs.

I have been in this industry for a long time and there are hidden costs that most people fail to see. I am an Android guy, but I am not going to bash on specs vs. costs.

Tidbits
Legend

I would also like to add...  Currently there NOTHING software wise that uses the hardware to 100% maximum potential.  The benchmark numbers are fun and all, but don't show real world performance. Also opening applications 1/8-1/2 a second makes all that different?  Seems like nitpicking.  I love those advertisements where they slow motion everything to show the difference, but when it's running real time you won't see the difference at all.  Right now Snapdragon 600 can still be used without any trouble on todays software.  Android OEM marketing has won.

Bill21784
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks mama23dogs,

It was also interesting that soon after Apple announce it's settlement with Samsung, they announced that the next chip version A9 and that SAMSUNG would manufacture 75% of the chips.

Ledsteplin
Contributor - Level 3

I have an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 5c. I have no problems at all. But then, no young people using data. I've had Verizon for over 10 years with absolutely no cellular data issues. The solution is simple. Stay on wifi. Young people won't do that. They will play games, watch videos, use iMessage and FaceTime and other data hogs while they are not on wifi. It's all in what is done in the phone and where. You folks are barking up the wrong tree. Verizon is not scamming anyone! SMH!

mama23dogs
Legend

Ledsteplin

true... For many families And for most phones.  The phones in question are faulty and using abnormally large amounts of data.  In most cases the wifi "fan" displays, but with cellular data turned off, the phones will not use the Internet via wifi or drop connection too often to be functional.  It is a problem that occurs mostly with iPhones, no matter what network or carrier used.

I use my phone for business, which requires using GPS as well as other services on the road.  I bought a big data plan since I have a lot of devices on my plan.  I use my data freely and I am the one who uses the most data.  Of course I am running my business off the phone while on the road. 

I have a Note 3, but I have 3 iphones and an iPad on my account.  We have switched carriers in the past year.  No data problems with previous carrier and none now.

With all the devices and data we still don't go over 10 GBS a month (Collectively)