Re: THE DATA USAGE ISSUE WITH THE IPHONE 5c
Ledsteplin
Contributor - Level 3

There's no truth to thar whatsoever. The iPhone dies not revert to cellular while asleep. That's ridiculous. I'm a member if 4 iPhone forums, and have never heard such bs. However, any smartphone on a weak wifi signal may revert to cellular.

0 Likes
nursebsn14
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well Im sorry that the four other forums you subscribe to haven't mentioned this, but seeing as Apple has confirmed this, as well as there are several forums addressing this issue, you may need to update them.  Starting with the iphone 5, Apple designed the phone to revert back to cellular data when the phone becomes idle because its supposed to save battery life.  The information is there, if you look for it...but in my case I was told directly by an Apple rep. Androids are now designed to do the same thing as well, there is just an option on the phone to turn it off.  Apple users do not have that option, as its built  into the phone.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Actually my iPhone 5s does not revert to cellular while "plugged in to a power outlet & cellular data turned off"

Go back and do a google search and it will tell you the same.

I used 500 megabytes last billing cycle on one iPhone 5s and 65 megabytes on my other iPhone 5s.

I keep them plugged in on WiFi while home. So the small amounts I used was while I was in my car.

And even there I have WiFi in my car.

Good Luck

nursebsn14
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I spoke with an Apple rep and there was an article about the issue that I read a few days ago, but I didnt save it once I read it. The bottom line is these carriers are aware that there is a marked increase in data usage with these phones.  There was nothing said, at least for me that I needed to turn off cellular data, or perhaps there may be an increase in data,  or finally that I may alter any settings on the phone.  If providers are aware of this, plans need to be offered to offset the issue, similar to what Sprint has done offering an unlimited data plan specifically for the iPhone.  There is definitely an issue with these phones, and seeing how many forums there are dedicated to the issue, its not something one person is making up.  Heres an article I found when I did a search this morning.  Its not the one I read from Apple about the issue, but its similar.

iPhone 5S is the most 'data-hungry' smart phone (+video)

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/2014/0123/iPhone-5S-is-the-most-data-hungry-smart-phone-video

0 Likes
Not applicable

The problem is when ever there are phone issues and yes I have read hundreds of the Being Over billed for huge overages not just on the iPhone but android device as well.

I can only tell you what works for me. Now lets say you are home and you have cellular data off since you are only using WiFi, how would there be huge amounts of data used on cellular? A little bit of cellular data even though I have noted my device is not using it still appears. I believe this to be when I leave my home and I enable cellular on my devices. But its very little.

You must not only be using WiFi but it must be in the wall socket. I have seen my device jump between cellular and WiFi when its not plugged into the power outlet. When on steady power no spikes or jumps as I call them.

Try it and see if that helps.

Good Luck

Bill21784
Enthusiast - Level 3

Joining the crowd on this one. My daughter upgraded from the iPhone 4 to 5 and now her data usage is sky HIGH.

She was using about 2 GB per month on her iPhone 4... 

Now with the iPhone 5s she has gone through 5.5 GB in just 2 weeks.

My wife and son still have iPhone 4's and they have only used 500 MB each in the same time frame with similar usage.

Just this morning at 5:45 AM the iPhone 5 used 500 MB.

I am glad that I have an Android phone...

I use it for NAV, weather, Facebook, and work email all day and I average 800 MB per month.

0 Likes
bravelad
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm soooo glad others are seeing the same thing.  I have been apoplectic over the last few months, having carefully tracked my usage when I was on Sprint and setting up my contract with what I felt like was a decent sized data plan.  However, my daughters iPhone 5 uses an amazing amount of data, and I've been going through the roof with my daughter.  Sometimes a week into the month getting usage warnings (I've set up all the warnings)!  I have gone from 2gig (we never collectively used over 2 gb a month on Sprint), to 4gb to a 6 to keep from going over.  Her iPhone kills my android in data usage. 

I finally had to tell her to turn off data while in the house (we always use wifi in our house or the houses of people who let us connect), or out on the road unless she really needs it, the amount of policing has been hilariously stupid.

Yes, I think she naturally uses more data than me, she is a teen, but I don't restrict my usage at all and I'm always way under her levels. 

Something... is... wrong with the iPhone or with how Verizon calculates data with iPhones.  I hope this issue gets huge momentum, and Verizon get to the bottom of it.  I would hate to see it become some sort of class action lawsuit (oh my gosh that was sooo MSNBC).

Please Verizon, figure this out.

0 Likes
Ledsteplin
Contributor - Level 3

It always seems to be the young people. They like videos, streaming music, intense games and chat apps. Using those off wifi will use a lot of data. Don't blame the phone or Verizon.

0 Likes
JRIII
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a duplicate post, but assuming it works it needs to be shared broadly. Verizon  isn't likely to try and fix it - they're raking it in - and Apple apparently set default to data for better user experience. For those of us who are satisfied the user experience of our smartphone on wifi:

190. Re: Why is my iPhone 5 Using So Much Data??

John RollContributor

Found this workaround too, trying it now on son's phone. If it doesn't work will try AelizaH's strategy and turn off background app refresh. Still peeved it's necessary to have to go on this kind of mission.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4054072?start=0

iPhone doesn't pick up wifi automatically

in response to Foodage

I think I have found a solution:

1) go to Settings->General->Reset->"Reset Network Settings". This will force a reboot of the phone & erase all of the networks previously stored.

2) when the phone comes back on, go to Settings->Wi-Fi-> set "ask to join networks" to "on".

3) join the network, and input password.

4) after successfully connecting, leave the Wi-Fi network coverage area once, and come back into it. It should connect automatically again

5) go back into Settings->Wi-Fi-> set "ask to join networks" to "off"

0 Likes
cfeld
Enthusiast - Level 1

Having the same problem and Verizon Wireless will not fix this or even admit its a problem.  Even after many calls and reboots and basically turning off all the functions of my daughters phone.  Going back to Sprint this week for unlimited data.  There is no possible way my daughter uses 5x the data of anyone else in my family.  She is in school most of the day and plays a sport.  We have been nothing but disappointed since switching to Verizon Wireless from Sprint a few years ago.

0 Likes