Re: THE DATA USAGE ISSUE WITH THE IPHONE 5c
gwf_asf
Enthusiast - Level 1

We followed advice from Elector above and went through all of the apps on the iPhones and turned off cellular data, except for a few. It limits the data usage, and the kids can turn it back on if needed.

We we did not have any overages last month.

We also got the family base option. It is $5extra per month, but it will turn off at 2gb and will not allow a phone to go over on data.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Not so fast nursebsn14, I don't want to see you go. Please send me a Direct Message so I can look into this and provide you with a resolution.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
nixs86chevy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also am having the same problem. My husband is using 13 gb alone with his 5c just looking at facebook and listening to pandora every now and then. I have a 4s and never go over 1gb, there is definitely something wrong here! We have gone through and turned off everything that could be running in the background using data, cellular data, etc... We are getting charged outrageous amounts of data even when he is at home on wifi. I tried to call verizon yesterday and they act like there is nothing they can do. Spoke with the dept to cancel service, but that got me nowhere as I am not added as an "authorized user" on our account. The woman on the phone acted as if she was more than happy to cancel our account did nothing to try to get a 4 yr customer to stay, then told me I was not allowed to cancel so my husband would have to call. We will be going to AT&T this week and see what they have. Im not paying verizon's $65 & $70 data overages anymore!

0 Likes
Not applicable

No need to call and cancel. Just go to the carrier of your choice and port the device account to them.

You need your Verizon cell number, last four digits of your husbands social security number. It is a good idea to bring a copy of your last bill so the account number can be accessed by the receiving cell carrier.

And you don't lose your cell numbers. If you call and cancel you lose your numbers.

You also will have to pay for new devices and activation fees per line at your new carrier.

Good Luck

nursebsn14
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tried to DM you and the system would not let me, perhaps Im doing something wrong.  But here is what I wrote in my response:

I was told to DM someone about my issue with the 5c.  I have been taking pictures of my data usage since Friday and it clearly shows that my cellular data is increasing even while on wifi. Also, I have been calling for months about this issue. The rep from Verizon who ran the analysis on the phone a few months ago offered me no resolution after she politely told me something was running in the background for six hours a day.  I barely sleep six hours a day let alone have time to sit on my phone for that long every day.  I asked her after she relayed that information what I should do and she said I'm not sure.  After calling Verizon customer support this past Wednesday, the store manager in Strongsville, OH contacted Apple support who ran an analysis and could not pin point where the data usage was coming from.  They deemed it a hardware issue and replaced the phone.  Unfortunately, its still doing the same thing, so at this point it seems to be a network issue.  At this point, Verizon owes me an adjustment.  I have proof that the network has issues.  If I am on wifi, the cellular data should not move.  No matter how small the increase, if this is happening on a daily basis, it can eventually lead to overages.  Im not paying another dime of this bill until an adjustment is done and a resolution is reached.  If you need me to email the pics Ive taken I can. Sprint, Tmobile or AT&T are looking like better options at this point if this doesn't get resolved.

0 Likes
tiredofoverages

We are having the same problem!  My son received this phone for Christmas 2013, recommended by the guy at Verizon because it was such a good phone, etc.  It is horrible and eats data!  My son is on a college campus with wifi everywhere, yet his phone just consumed 2 gigs in less than a week!  Every month we deal with overage costs.  My husband has a DROID with 4 gigs and never uses more than 2 - he uses his phone a lot!  I have 5 on my ipad and watch videos - never go over.  Something is very wrong with this phone!

0 Likes
tiredofoverages

Those AT&T Share plans are looking more attractive all the time . . .

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tiredofoverages,

We can certainly help you as well, we want him to be able to enjoy his phone without having you worrying about overages. Please go to Settings>Cellular. You will see a list of apps there. Please share the details of what app and the number of GB you see were used.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
gwf_asf
Enthusiast - Level 1

we called verizon support and the person was very nice and went through all of the things necessary to turn off cellular Data. We have an iPhone 5 and 5s. Last month we did not go over.

YOu you can reset usage for the apps to determine how much each app is using

you can set an app to turn off cellular so it will only use wi fi

you have to go through the phone and do this for each app

and you can sign up for family base so that it will not go over the limit.

0 Likes
nursebsn14
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had the cellular data turned off and I watched the numbers continue to go up...while the data was off and on wifi.  I went back into the store again and they called into tech support for me and I was so graciously informed by the rep ( once I point blank asked) that beginning with the 5th generation iPhone, once the screen goes black/idle, the phone automatically switches back over to the cellular network.  I was floored and really had to get my thoughts together afterwards.  At this point it seems to be more of an issue with Apple.  But if these carriers choose to promote the phone, they need to offer plans to suit these phones since unlike the android, apple users cant turn the option of for the phone to switch between the wifi and cellular.  Also, when I turn off the cellular data, some of my messages and other alerts are not coming through even on wifi.  I have a child and I cant risk not getting an alert or email from her school because I have to sit and baby sit my data usage on my phone.  These are supposed to be smart phones, but the only thing they're smart enough to do is burn a hole in our pockets every month paying for more and more data.

0 Likes