Since iOS 8.1 update my phone now shows extended coverage only. Help!!
hog66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ever since I updated to ios 8.1 my phone has shown extended coverage instead of Verizon.  I am not in any roaming area.  Just in the same spots I always am. I have tried resetting the network and other various resets/ restarts. I have read that others are having this problem. Is there any solution yet? I have a 5s phone.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Since iOS 8.1 update my phone now shows extended coverage only. Help!!
Genenaples
Enthusiast - Level 2

Being in extended mode's very basic definition is Roaming. Years ago when you were outside of your home network you used other towers whether in your providers network or other providers towers. Back then you typically paid extra fees for Roaming and for air time. Today (2014) there is no such thing as that type of roaming with the big providers. Everyone gets nationwide calling and no Roaming fees. Now I cant speak for small pre paid phones or companies that provide ultra local service only. I am talking about Spring - Verizon - AT&T - those providers, so if you have on of the big providers the answer is no - no extra fees when you see Extended. In certain areas and with certain iPhones generally 5S or less after the 8.1 update you will see extended more often. It does mean that you are on other providers towers or Roaming but as you get a stronger Verizon tower it should switch over. I  have also read that there are some people's 5S phones that will not say Verizon even in a Verizon store. If I can read between the lines of the tech blogs and what I have learned from both Apple and Verizon, there is a bug or glitch with 8.1 that will be fixed with the next update.

View solution in original post

Genenaples
Enthusiast - Level 2

Solution

After two days on the phone with Verizon (Vzw) tier 2 support and Apple support I was able to get an answer, and get this fixed. There are some known issues with the Vzw iPhones staying in extended mode - so check these first! This is a very important issue to get fixed because until you do you are stuck on other cell operators towers and not Vzw and you will not get high definition calling!

1) IMPORTANT- If you are using a Vzw Network Extender in your home or office, since update of iOS 8.1 you will always see extended mode on your phone, no matter what, for now. (4g HD calling not yet available through Vpn tunnel)

2) 8.1 apple update defaulted all the iPhone cellular mode LTE setting to data only.  to fix, go to settings> Cellular > Enable LTE > Select Voice & Data. a check mark should appear within 30 seconds and Verizon will reappear on iPhone. If the check mark appears you are now back on Vzw cell network and have High Def calling. If not - complete a "hard reset on the iPhone" Do this by holding down your power button and home button until you see the apple logo on the screen, This actually disconnects the battery on the phone and forces the sim card to reach out to the towers and reinitialize settings.

If this does not work, toggle on and off Airplane Mode

If that does not work; go to settings> General> Reset> Reset Network Settings

Now if after all that your check mark does not appear or you get a pop box on the phone that says "call Vzw to enable LTE calls" then here is the solution:

Call Vzw, have them add the following 3 codes on your account:

A) Advanced Calling 1.0 - Vzw Feature Code 81143

B) High Def Voice - Vzw Feature Code 81158

C) High Def Access - Vzw Feature Code 81186

If you give the Vzw rep the three feature codes it will make your life easier because this is a very new issue!

Now you can hard reset and select LTE Voice and Data and get back on the Vzw Network

2 days and 4 hours on the phone with both companies solved this issue, I am not that smart, just pushy to get my new HD calling that I bought the dam iPhone 6 for! Cheers!  gene

Note: When doing all this you must be in good range of a Vzw cell tower and have at least two bars of signal on your phone

hog66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response. Sadly, this advice does not apply to an iphone 5s since the settings are different. Smiley Sad

0 Likes
iphonerunner
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did you ever fix this? I updated my 5c last night & I'm in "extended" now. It doesn't seem to be affecting my phone calls or data or texts but I want to ensure I won't get any extra charges on the bill for something I'm not doing.

0 Likes
hog66
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, I still have not heard of a fix for this. Only have heard fixes for iphone 6- not any of the 5s. Smiley Sad

0 Likes
iphonerunner
Enthusiast - Level 2

Smiley Sad Do you know if always being in "extended" will cause extra charges on the plan? I can't seem to find the true definition of "extended". If it's not going to affect the bill at the end of the month then I guess I'll just ignore it until the bug gets fixed.

0 Likes
hog66
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have not found a definite answer to this, but I don't think it will cost extra. I have been checking my usage online the past few days and it looks ok there.. but that doesn't mean it will be ok at the end of the month/billing. I am hoping someone from Verizon will respond to this discussion and help us.  Smiley Sad

0 Likes
cindye54
Enthusiast - Level 1

Perfect! Thank you so much for the step by step instructions! I was able to get my iPhone 6 back on 'Verizon LTE' and off of the "Extended LTE'.

iphonerunner
Enthusiast - Level 2

I hope so! I also started a question thread but no reply this far.

0 Likes
iphonerunner
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did find this... I guess home air rates still apply as long as it doesn't say roaming.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-16455/

0 Likes