Reception issues with 5S - Anyone else?
HiTekJeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was lucky, or so I thought and got an early iPhone 5S Gold 64GB iPhone Oct 1. However, upon activation over the phone with a Verizon customer service rep, I noticed that I had immediate lower signal quality and reception issues. So, I went over a check list before calling tech support, such as making sure it was setup as a "new" iPhone in iTunes, NOT backup, turning OFF LTE, etc. but nothing helped. Bottom line is I spent nearly 30 minutes with Verizon tech and we tried everything they knew to do but NOTHING worked. My iPhone 4S had a solid 3 bars and would lock on to 3G most of the time. But the iPhone 5S ranged from 2-1 and would flux in signal even dropping to 1X with LTE still turned OFF. The iPhone 4S never went to 1 bar or 1X service and was almost always 3 bars with 3G. My phone was so bad others could not hear me on the other end and I lost calls twice. Since nothing could be done, Verizon Tech assumed it was defective and asked me to send back for replacement.

Just wondering if anyone else has issues like mentioned above with their iPhone 5S regardless of LTE or not. I'm not sure why my iPhone 4S has no issues since they had to put me back to my old phone in the mean time and it still works great. Same area, just different phone model that the problem here. I know Apple had some issues with reception on the 5, but most was corrected or so I thought. I am on the outer edge for signal some, but the iPhone 4S picks it up fine where I am, but not the 5S. Do models vary so much that one may work and another not?

Does anyone think my 5S was just defective or if a replacement will work OK? Just wanting to get some feedback from 4S and 5S owners and general information on things like this. If anyone else is having signal loss or issues with the reception please let me know.

Thanks for any replies.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Reception issues with 5S - Anyone else?
jazz290

Where are you located?

I am in NYC and had the 5S for 24 hours and had to return it. I could not get any reception on LTE at work (but full strenght on 3G) and it was slower than my 4S on 3G in my apt.

Verizon's LTE network is very badly overburdened in high population density areas.

0 Likes
HiTekJeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in Illinois and it's a very small town of only about 6,000. Had the iPhone 4S not worked well I would think it was just the fact we have only one local tower, but I get a solid 3 bars and almost always 3G on my iPhone 4S at home and 4-5 when going in direction of tower. The coverage is very solid on my 4S, but the 5S is all over the place. Like I said, I turned 4G LTE OFF when advised to try that, but nothing helped at all. When my service was transferred back to my 4S everything was fine once again.

I am going to be really upset if the 5S has worse radios for reception than the 4S for some people. Phone models vary so much now days I hate upgrading because of this, even though I REALLY want a new phone. Verizon told me I was stuck and could not get a different phone if they replaced the 5S and it was past the 14 day return period. But if I can't get service or poor service, I'm not paying for that for sure. I'm hoping the replacement works fine, otherwise I am going to have to do something.

0 Likes
whootang12
Enthusiast - Level 3

I went from a 4 to a 5s. I live in San Francisco - tech capital of the world. LTE coverage is really spotty, my biggest complaint is the phone will try to hold into LTE that doesn't work at all (overcrowded?), instead of moving to 3G. Replacement 5s was no better for me, I wonder if it could just be design of phone

0 Likes
jazz290

In NYC, it's a known network issue that affects all makes and models.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

0 Likes
jazz290

In NYC, I know the LTE issue affects all makes.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

0 Likes
HiTekJeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think that's the biggest issue is the fact the iPhone 5 and 5S does not want to lock on and stay on 3G service. Even when I turned off my LTE on the 5S, the signal was nearly as bad because it would briefly drop to 3G, but then want to stay on 1X service.

The iPhone 4S I have gone back to until replacement still works just fine and stays almost always on 3G with much better reception. I have to have a working phone FIRST, everything else is nice but not a MUST have. I don't know if Android phones have this issue or not, but I do know Apple phones tend to want LTE or nothing it seems.

Verizon is going to have to do something if the replacement 5S does not work, which by reports not hopeful on now. I'm not paying a monthly fee for worse service that's for sure regardless of what phones I have to try or go back to. I would go with another service but Verizon is the best for our area and my 4S works just fine. It's just these new LTE models that seem to have LOTS of signal issues.

walkingrock

I have had this same issue with my SG3, much worse than my previous Motorola Droid X that I had; same location. I was just researching to see if the iPhone 5s might be better...

0 Likes
Pnhtricey
Contributor - Level 1

I have been having problems with both the iPhone 5 and 5s LTE. When I had my 4S it was perfect with service. I even switched off the LTE and just stick with 3G on the  5s.  When I had the 5 they gave me a replacement and a new SIM card and that didn't work, I ended up just returning the phone.  I always get  1x or says no internet connection when I try to use data. I think it's something with the new iPhone... Not sure how it works on other companies though.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to fully enjoy 4G LTE on your iPhone 5s Pnhtricey! What is your zip code? What type of location is this? Inside your home or workplace? Are these difficulties happening in more than one area?

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes