Phone won't make/receive calls in specific location
naomio99
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone (iphone 5s from 2016) works perfectly normally in most of the United States, including my college, except for in my hometown (zip code 08540).

When I am in this region, I cannot make or receive any calls. I can occasionally send/receive texts via cellular network, but there's only about a 50% chance of them going through. The signal bars at the top left of the screen fluctuate almost constantly in signal strength. For example, sometimes it says I have strong signal, but it will switch to no signal the next second, etc.

I know this is not a coverage issue because other family members in the same town share the same verizon plan and have no issues whatsoever.

I have tried all of verizon's suggested troubleshooting steps including toggling all network settings, resetting network settings, resetting the phone, getting a new sim card, etc. I have placed several test calls to the verizon network, and only one call went through. However, no calls to any other numbers have gone through.

I called verizon, and they said it was apple's fault. I then called apple, who said it was verizon's fault.

My sister had the same phone, and the problem was apparently fixed when she got an iphone 6(?). My mother has the same phone and is currently developing the same problems I have. I would really like to avoid getting a new phone, since it would be expensive and mine works just fine literally everywhere except this one town, 

Anyone have similar problems or advice?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Phone won't make/receive calls in specific location
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, naomio99. That certainly is an odd problem to have with your iPhone 5s. Let's get to the bottom of this! Did you complete a factory reset as part of troubleshooting? How much free memory is available on your phone? StanleyC_VZW

0 Likes
naomio99
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello! Yes, I have done a full factory reset of the phone, and that unfortunately did not help. For the memory, can I assume we're talking about flash memory? I don't have much free storage on the phone (only 2 GB free).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate the details, naomio99, and thank you for the steps you have taken thus far. Describe what happens when you place a call in this area. Is WiFi on or off when this happens? When did the concerns begin?

KatiM_VZW

0 Likes
naomio99
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I place a call to any number, the phone says "calling *number*" but it never actually dials. There is no dialing sound, and the timer for call duration does not appear. This happens regardless of whether wifi is on or off, and it has been going on for at least a year.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for confirming and for the additional information. When you attempt a call do you notice that your signal changes? What happens when someone tries to call you? 

RogerZ_VZW

0 Likes
naomio99
Enthusiast - Level 2

The signal does not appear to change when I try to place a call. If someone else tries to call me, it dials a few times for them and then goes straight to voicemail, but my phone itself never rings and it doesn't indicate anywhere that I missed a call. The last time we tried, my phone was displaying 4 bars of signal but still would not make or receive a call.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You have come to the right place for assistance. I will be happy to help. Please send us a private note. 

Jose A.M_VZW

0 Likes