Re: IPhone 5 Randomly changes date and time
dnelms

I have seen in it at least one place :

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/10/16/verizon-iphone-5-date-time-issues-frustrate-owners/

My phone just started doing this 2 days ago. While at work with LTE, nothing happens, all settings stay. When I get home and my wifi automatically kicks on, I will get it. A reboot will fix it temporarily, but it will continue to happen unless I set it manually.

0 Likes
BigErnM
Enthusiast - Level 2

This has to be a Verizon network issue and not an iPhone 5 issue.  The wrong date and time bug is happening on my iPhone 5 and my wife's Galaxy S3 for the past 3 or 4 days.  We are just on the edge of 4G LTE coverage.  It always happens when we are at home and happens when I am on wireless with cellular data turned off and when I have both wireless and cellular data turned off. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.  On my iPhone 5 toggling airplane mode on and off fixes the issues.  On my wife's GSIII it seems to spontaneously correct.

0 Likes
JimSM

I tried all the above and the problem continued. About 18 hours ago I shut off "Enable LTE" under General/Cellular and so far the time/date problem isn't happening. It was happening multiple times a day before that. Before I shut off LTE I was also having problems with the signal randomly going back and forth between LTE and 3G, even while standing in the same spot. I'm thinking the random date changes are connected to the LTE instability. That might explain why everyone isn't having the problem too, since the LTE instability might be area specific, and it puts the fix in Verizon's lap. If this isn't fixed in a few days the window will close within which I can return the phone and cancel my plan without the big fees, so the clock is ticking on fixing this. I'm paying for LTE and not getting it - I'm paying for a smart phone and not getting it.

It appears these forums are moderated (see the removed trouble ticket info above), which means a Verizon rep is reading this. So why can't Verizon tell us what they're doing to address this?

>Moderator comment. Moderators are a different group than Customer Service. We are here to keep the forum free from the issues that are addressed in the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.

We are not techs or Customer Service Reps.<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Venghous1

agreed.... this is horrible...  if not for my dog waking me up. i would have been late for work twice now... sad that my 15 yr old dog is smarter than the worlds smartest phone LOL..   this has made it to Cnet and other national pages today.. hope it helps..  i have been thru two phones and still the same problem.. the only way it works is to shut off LTE.. im so glad i ditched my 3g 4s for the 4g 5... come on Verizon...  lets stop pointing fingers and get this fixed... i should have a credit on my bill until this is fixed..

0 Likes
247adg

All- Don't bother messing with any settings.  I've gotten replacements for three iphone 5 from different Apple stores and the same issue persists.  I've done all the resets, nothing works permanently.  It's the LTE network and Verizon needs to fix it.  Verizon is giving customers money back for their data plan so make sure you ask.  iphone is not the only one having issues, my neighbor has a new Samsung Galaxy with the exact problem.  I have turned off the LTE so I don't have to mess with missed appointments, no time changes for two weeks now and as soon as I turn it back on the time changes backward within 24 hours.  Keep complaining to Verizon.

0 Likes
JimSM

Dear Moderator -- it's irrelevant to me what your specific job is or isn't. Verizon owes customers some communication on the status of this problem and owes us a fix. You're Verizon's rep. Find someone to tell us what's going on.

0 Likes
J_Price

My iPhone 5 just started doing this yesterday. Last night while sleeping it apparently changed again and I was almost late to work today due to my alarm not going off since the time change. It is a Verizon problem and nothing else. I'm still within my time frame to cancel my plan and switch back to AT&T which is sounding better and better right about now since Verizon is ignoring this issue completely it seems. As much as I would love to have LTE coverage since AT&T doesn't currently have it where I am it is seriously more worthwhile to have a phone where the date and time settings aren't constantly changing themselves and possibly causing me to be late to things.

0 Likes
ChrisinDavis

J as a temporary work around you can do a few things.  I have been successful turning off the automatic update feature in the date and time section of settings.  I just set it to manual for now until Verizon (the leading suspect) and or Apple get the fixes in place.  Others have had success turning off the LTE function for now, and a Tier 2 Verizon tech support guy had me turn off the auto function for time zones in the Location portion of settings.  There's a whole bunch about this in the Apple Community Support pages, if you haven't seen it already.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20094403#20094403

Most of us feel like this is a Verizon issue and it seems to be getting resolved region by region as a number of participants in the thread above have reported that the phones are now stable.

0 Likes
J_Price

Well I just started having this problem yesterday after about 3 weeks with my iPhone 5 now. I live in Springfield, IL and never had an issue until now. So I don't know if maybe they did maintenance on the LTE tower here or what that caused the date time settings to be off. As I said it worked perfectly fine on this tower until just recently. This leads me to believe that there is possibly an issue with people not settings things correctly for a tower during maintenance or something of that sort.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
RBP85

I have had the problem twice since I got my iPhone 5 on the first day it was available.  Like several of you, I am in a "fringe" area where I have 3G in the house, but LTE if I go outside.  Not having LTE isn't a problem because I use WiFi in the house, but the time change issue is a big problem.  I am a new Verizon customer (previously AT&T) but I am beginning to regret not switching to Sprint instead, or even staying with AT&T.  Hopefully Verizon is working on the problem, since it appears to be only on their network.

0 Likes