Re: IPhone 5 Randomly changes date and time
Toolchick94

Also having this issue, has happened twice now, and I hope they get a fix soon as I use my phone as my alarm and can't afford to miss work!!!

0 Likes
R_D_Pro

Yes this has been occurring for my iPhone 5 as well, however, only in a certain geographic region (my residential area).  I discovered this just 2 days after receiving my phone on 9/21 and thinking that it was a one time occurrence.  The issue does not occur when I am at work (15 miles away) or traveling out of state, but only while at home; in the evening, over night, or in the morning.  The issue occurs approximately 3x in the evening and at night.  Verizon has replaced my iPhone 5, so I am running my replacement iPhone 5 and the issue is still occurring.  It occurs when the time is set to "automatic" (automatically sync with network) and also occurs when the time is set to "manual".  The temporary work-around is to switch the phone to Airplane Mode for a few seconds and then switch back.

Issue impacts alarm clock, ability to send/receive iMessages, ability to send/receive FaceTime sessions, etc. and there is no way of knowing unless you constantly look at your phone.  For me, I get screwed with the alarm clock does not go off (or when it does go off at a random time because the time goes out of whack) and when I have not received messages for several hours which draws my attention.

Verizon support is completely useless.  They have claimed it is not their issue, however working with Apple tech support and Apple Engineering on many days for countless hours, it points back to Verizon.  I finally got Verizon to open a "network ticket" on this on Monday 10/2 and flagged at the highest priority possible.  I call in daily (I really do) and continuously get informed that there is no update because the Verizon network team is a different department and does not interface with the call center or customers.  So I am in a black hole.  I've spoken with countless supervisors and am informed the same.  Needless to say there will be discounts on my bill.

On Saturday, Verizon informed me that my ticket is the first listed under the "parent ticket" and that is now a known issue.  That is the latest update I have, other than the "Verizon will call or text you when the issue is resolved" and "there is no ETA for an update or resolution".

I URGE EVERYBODY TO CONTACT VERIZON AND REQUEST THAT A NETWORK TICKET BE OPENED REGARDING THIS.  IT NEEDS TO BE HIGH ON VERIZON'S RADAR!!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes
PeteBoston
Contributor - Level 1
0 Likes
Zimme111

I'm also having this problem with two new iPhones on Verizon. Turning on/off airplane mode helps temporarily but this issue is annoying and prevents the use of the phone as an alarm clock.

0 Likes
chasw

UPDATE: I called Verizon a week ago and they reinstalled the patch they installed after iPhone5's began to be sold. The tech said that sometimes a break in the download or install can cause odd problems. He did the re-install and had me check all kinds of date related stuff. Then, he said he would check back in a day to see how things were going. He never checked back. HOWEVER, I have had no problem with date or time even though I set it to "set automatically".  That is more than 7 days now with no more random date/time problems.

0 Likes
jp4571
Enthusiast - Level 2

Spent the last 8 days in Alaska in an "extended" area (non-Verizon) and had no trouble with either phone. So... despite what they say, it appears to be a Verizon problem.

0 Likes
irunnoft
Enthusiast - Level 2

Been dealing with this issue since day one Sept. 21st. I'm on my 3rd iPhone 5. I've found that the time change only happens at home. I've also found that I can prevent my time from changing when I'm at home if I turn off LTE. I use wifi at home and I'm in an area where the signal fluctuates between LTE and 3G, so turning LTE off will be a workaround until Verizon fixes this. This issue is definitely an LTE issue.

0 Likes
TuckerMaxx
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a VZW network issue.... I have a HTC Thunderbolt and have the exact same problem.. called into XYZ Tech Support.. notta they deny eveything.. I was sitting here browsing away when my 6:30p WED alarm for taking out the trash went off.. umm that would be great for I often forget.. BUT IT WAS 10A on MONDAY!!!the after staring at the screen for like 4-5secs absorbing what I just witnessed POOF right before my eyes it was back to the correct time... So don't feel like its the iPhone 5... for its definately a VZW network issue...

0 Likes
akramh

I agree this is totally a verizon issue. When you travel abroad the time and date changes right away even if you have it at manual. I have tried that before. It basically connects to the tower and gets the timezone setting.

I believe there is a bug some how in some of the towers that syncs the wrong timezone all together. How can we push that issue to the top for Verizon management? any ideas? Does someone know someone in the media?

0 Likes
akramh

There is a network Ticket please refer to it, when calling Verizon support, please refer to this ticket or if you are opening a new one attach your ticket to it.

Ticket number:(Removed ticket # to comply with )

More details on this please go to:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4347494?start=285&tstart=0

Message was edited by: Verizon  Moderator (M)

0 Likes