I have 3 issues/questions-
Dmsfl
Enthusiast - Level 2

1. wifi is sometimes not automatically connecting at home or office although it is set to auto-connect at both places. Incurring data charges when I assume i'm on wifi. Have to switch wifi off and back on again for it to connect. 2. Exchange mail- have had several recent incidents where I get a few hours-worth of emails all at once even though it's set to push and they normally come in instantly. 3. Exchange calendar- when I enter something on desktop calendar, it automatically appears on my phone's calendar but if I enter something on my phone calendar, it doesn't synch to desktop calendar. Any help/ideas appreciated!!!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I have 3 issues/questions-
rtiffin
Contributor - Level 3

hello Dmsfl .. lets take this 1 at a time

on the Wifi.. you state Incurring data charges when you assume you are on wifi.. than state you have to switch wifi off and back on.. if the Wifi is not connected .. than it Should not be incurring charges ...the signal is and will be different since you will be changing locations  and must take into consideration the lack of those two signals as you are traveling from one place to the other.. so having to reset it once you get to the 2nd designation would make sense as your system would last see lost of signal with no ability to find the other within a normal time frame.. but again.. unless you have it set to where it is to connect to ANY random signal between the two spots.. there should not be a data charge with there is not data being allowed into the phone.. I hope that makes sense,,

2nd issue... the Exchange mail.. this is kinda linked to the wifi... Exchange Mail or any email connection needs that signal of connection in order to connection and delivery or pickup yours messages.. it would only make sense that if you are not receiving an authorized signal of connection.. the email program is another that looks for a connection/signal that has been approved.. if it is not there.. it will retry (depending on how you have the settings.. ) if not finding the port it has been assigned.. it will basically go to sleep until.. like the wifi signal being off.. you manual link/awake your phone to allow the signal to enter..

3rd... Calendar..  your calendar systems are two different programs and do not rely on the other... here.. I will address what and how.. in a connected reply.. along with a link to help you understand and hopefully be able to set up the calendar on the phone to automatically transfer the information or hopefully to get exchange to search for the 2nd calendar... please give me a few minutes..

thanking you in advance...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
rtiffin
Contributor - Level 3

hello Dmsfl .. lets take this 1 at a time

on the Wifi.. you state Incurring data charges when you assume you are on wifi.. than state you have to switch wifi off and back on.. if the Wifi is not connected .. than it Should not be incurring charges ...the signal is and will be different since you will be changing locations  and must take into consideration the lack of those two signals as you are traveling from one place to the other.. so having to reset it once you get to the 2nd designation would make sense as your system would last see lost of signal with no ability to find the other within a normal time frame.. but again.. unless you have it set to where it is to connect to ANY random signal between the two spots.. there should not be a data charge with there is not data being allowed into the phone.. I hope that makes sense,,

2nd issue... the Exchange mail.. this is kinda linked to the wifi... Exchange Mail or any email connection needs that signal of connection in order to connection and delivery or pickup yours messages.. it would only make sense that if you are not receiving an authorized signal of connection.. the email program is another that looks for a connection/signal that has been approved.. if it is not there.. it will retry (depending on how you have the settings.. ) if not finding the port it has been assigned.. it will basically go to sleep until.. like the wifi signal being off.. you manual link/awake your phone to allow the signal to enter..

3rd... Calendar..  your calendar systems are two different programs and do not rely on the other... here.. I will address what and how.. in a connected reply.. along with a link to help you understand and hopefully be able to set up the calendar on the phone to automatically transfer the information or hopefully to get exchange to search for the 2nd calendar... please give me a few minutes..

thanking you in advance...

0 Likes
Dmsfl
Enthusiast - Level 2

On the wifi issue, what I mean is that sometimes, fairly rarely, the phone is not connecting to my wifi and thus i'm using the LTE data. I never had this issue with my 4s. I used less than 2 mb of data each month for 2 years but after my 1st month with the 5s I had to up it to 3 mb then 4 mb a month or two later. I know the wifi signal is strong, I use my macbook constantly without issue, only the phone disconnects randomly.

I understand what you're saying on my email issue and I'll stand by for 3rd issue response. I appreciate your time & assistance!

rtiffin
Contributor - Level 3

Dmsfl ... here is the final information and it is regarding the calendar.. if I am hearing your correctly there is 2 calendars that you are working with.. the one on the display of the phone... the other is a program link to your email...  .. from what I am seeing in your manual.. you do have the ability to work with multiple calendars... and depending on      the programs involved.. yes some will sync all context together.. but I believe the most likely out come is this ... you have your calendar on device.. and the other say on your desktop with the email's main set up.. (this is just an example as regardless of what and where the two programs/calendars start - the  out come is most likely the same )  ..

say you are working off the device/phone ... you have the ability to switch right there and view both calendars.. as far as full sync of the two.. the manual will be able to assist you on how IF it is possible to link completely together... the following link is from your manual and you can access it from the device... this link should take your directly to the calendar set up area... you should also be able to view the manual fully from the same link and it is always available above this community section under your account information.. in MY VERIZON ..the Device/Support/ View manual

Apple iPhone 5 Support | Verizon Wireless

Hopefully I have explain all your questions to your satisfaction.. I am asking that you please come back to this same post and advise if all questions have been answered and your are good to go.. if not ... myself or any of the others here will be happy to follow through until completion...

thank you for your patience on the time frame as a very large part of us are end users (Verizon customers that are taking time to pay it forward and assist other customers )  Smiley Happy  Looking forward to you reply.. I hope I have anything covered for you..

0 Likes
rtiffin
Contributor - Level 3

nice timing ..  do you know approximately when the BOOST of usage is?? can you tell ?? and are you able to go into your system on the device to see what is pulling the usage??   Lets try that and see if maybe there is a program running that is double pulling data usage that may not have to be running.. I will pull the manual as you read my last message.. and I am still right here...

thank you for coming back here when you did .. I always feel like I am deserting a customer when there is a large gap in between us.. but hahah we all have things in life.. and do not like to be on hmmmm chat hold   be right back ..

0 Likes
rtiffin
Contributor - Level 3

ok .. you have the link for the manual.. so between us both I think we can come up with a possibility of why and you will be able to double check the manual and settings...

on the wifi... do you have the setting for roaming also on?? roaming data does pull more usage and if you are using than you should be able to set it up where it notifies you with a signal..

I understand you stating the usage in data seems higher.. I am not familiar with the programming on the iPhones like I am with my blackberry.. but I do know with each new model/design of all the phones they are always creating more features you are able to do with them... so with that said... please check the apps running and check to see what seems to be pulling the highest.. normally it is the operating system..due to all the extra add on free features that are placed there.. there may be a lot on that you do not use... (just like on our computers so many I would never use but another end user would )... we will start with the obvious and hopefully be able to pinpoint fast and stop it ...

standing close by..

0 Likes
Dmsfl
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think I have the calendar issue resolved- thanks! I'll look more into what's eating up my data tomorrow when I have more time. Thanks again for your help!

0 Likes
rtiffin
Contributor - Level 3

thank you for being patience with me.. I have now learned a lot about the iPhone

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The wifi sleep policy is coming into affect for the extra data usage. You should consider turning off the cellular data connection if you plan to be connected to a wifi router for extended periods of time.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes