Re: Grandfathered unlimited data + mobile hotspot + iPhone 5
brokedownsystem
Enthusiast - Level 1

yeah, I found this out all pretty quickly.    It's ok for the time being, but an annoyance when I found out that tethering was gimped for unlimited data plans.

I hope Apple reneges on whatever agreement they have with Verizon in regards to 3rd-party tethering apps, >Rooting comment deleted for violating VZW ToS<

At least Pandora works.   That's something my previous 3g connection couldn't handle.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
jakniclesin

If you have a grandfathered $29.99 Unlimited Email and Web data package, AND a 4G mobile phone, the hotspot package is $30.00 and you have unlimited tethered data.

On a 3G device the mobile hotspot feature is $20.00 and your data package allowance is increased to 4GB. 2GB for phone use, 2GB for tethering.

0 Likes
brokedownsystem
Enthusiast - Level 1

Probably a little bit late to reply, but the solution has been posted online.   Google is your buddy.      You can only do it though if you have a second line on the account that's not a smartphone.

0 Likes
brokedownsystem
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, I know.   I'm just saying by default that tethering should be free and clear for everyone since one is already paying for the data plan.    It's not like it costs Verizon anything extra.    This is as bad as Microsoft charging $60/yr simply for people to play games online with their 360 console. 

While they say that all these actions are to keep the network up and running efficiently, this's more about nickel and diming the consumer for everything possible.    We in the U.S., are currently living in the cellphone Dark Ages compared to the rest of the world.

0 Likes
Not applicable

It is free if you're on a a Share Everything plan. An no it should NOT be free for those on unlimited. Think about it. If I had unlimited data on my 4G phone and I had had free unlimited tethering included why not just cancel my cable internet and use my Verizon connection as my main internet? Well the problem is I use 100 GB - 250 GB a month. It wouldn't take many people like me to slow down the network for everyone else. I'm not sure why some of you people think that bandwidth and spectrum is some sort of magical unlimited resource.

0 Likes
brokedownsystem
Enthusiast - Level 1

unlimited plan has nothing to do with tethering.

Corporate work environments are hostile in many circumstances to their employees doing anything that might make their work remotely tolerable.     They don't want employees "wasting" time nor do they want to take responsibility for employees' actions on the internet. 

So we're mostly stuck pounding out personal e-mails and listening to music via cellphones.    Now the latter might be optional, but it makes sense that everyone who already pays for a data plan to have access to a method that's easier to carry out personal e-mails, like a laptop or an iPad.       This is why tethering should be a basic capability as opposed to something extra...employers benefit since employees waste much less time writing e-mails on touchpads, and employees benefit by having their privacy maintained and not getting frustrated writing e-mails on tiny handheld devices.

My point is moot IF it's possible to pair a bluetooth keyboard to a cellphone.   I just remember this not being easily done without doing something out of the ordinary to my old android phone.  

(note:  yes, apple wireless keyboard pairing works straight out of the box for iPhone 5!!)

0 Likes
macher50267

The FCC ruling had to do with tethering specifically charging people for tethering on metered plans. VZW isn't allowed to charge for tethering for those on metered plans.

0 Likes
jpeter1094

<<If you have a grandfathered $29.99 Unlimited Email and Web data package, AND a 4G mobile phone, the hotspot package is $30.00 and you have unlimited tethered data.

On a 3G device the mobile hotspot feature is $20.00 and your data package allowance is increased to 4GB. 2GB for phone use, 2GB for tethering.>>

What about if you have a 3G grandfathered $29.99 Unlimited Email and Web data package?  Is the tethered data unlimited?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

jpeter1094 wrote:

<<If you have a grandfathered $29.99 Unlimited Email and Web data package, AND a 4G mobile phone, the hotspot package is $30.00 and you have unlimited tethered data.

On a 3G device the mobile hotspot feature is $20.00 and your data package allowance is increased to 4GB. 2GB for phone use, 2GB for tethering.>>

What about if you have a 3G grandfathered $29.99 Unlimited Email and Web data package?  Is the tethered data unlimited?

only if you had the package before the change.  If you don't then it will be 2GB and up respectively.

0 Likes
Jumpie1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dude, you're completely wrong. You chose to get a subsidized phone or at a discount and therefore gave up your rights to use unlimited data how you choose for a measly 2GB.

I chose to keep my unlimited data and pay full price for my i5. And, I should be allowed to choose how I want to use my data whether it's just to play SongPop or surf the web on the phone or tether to my entire house (per FCC rules).

>Comment deleted, From the ToS: Posts that discuss hacking and/or rooting a wireless device from any carrier will be removed. In addition, name calling comment removed<

Bandwidth should not be throttled by VZW because of the amount of data you use. Bandwidth should be determined by how many people are using the network just it does if everyone in your community were using your home broadband at the same time streaming HD movies. Period.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator