Re: Data loophole?
Nyobie_B
Contributor - Level 1

As far as the system goes, I've been switching back and forth between two of the 4G LTE phones I own without any days between switches.  I can't imagine that you'd have to have your new phone on your plan for any longer than it would take you to make the switch right after you leave the store but it's best if you confirm with a Verizon rep just to be sure.

0 Likes
Katmandue

Question?....could one just take the sim card out of phone on unlimited data plan and place it any another phone purchased outright....would that allow one to keep the unlimited data plan?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Katmandue wrote:

Question?....could one just take the sim card out of phone on unlimited data plan and place it any another phone purchased outright....would that allow one to keep the unlimited data plan?

I have done that a number of time when switching between a Thunderbolt and Nexus phones.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Nyobie_B
Contributor - Level 1

I've also done the same - switching between two 4G capable phones that I own.  One of them, I received last year when I activated my Verizon account (came back from Sprint), and the other I purchased a couple months ago at full retail price.  The SIM cards in my case, aren't the same size so I can't swap the cards but what I can do is reactivate the SIM using the Verizon online system.  Go to My Verizon, Activate or Switch Device.  You need the IMEI Number and SIM Card number of the unused phone and you can activate it yourself.  Doing so with the power off, then turning the power on after you enter the numbers, only takes a minutes or so while the phone is powering on.

But, if two phones have the same SIM and you simply want to swap them, as long as the SIM cards are the same size, you can swap the cards.  I also did this between my husband's and my Thunderbolt phones when his started acting flaky.  Mine was fine so I swapped cards, powered both phones ON and they were equally able to use their own data plan.

What a nice convenience for those of us who don't mind a change in our devices from time to time. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Nexus uses a micro SIM card and I use that SIM card in the Thunderbolt (standard SIM) with the assistance of a SIM card adapter. I keep the adapter in the Tbolt when not in use. That way I don't have to do the swap through MyVerizon account.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Nyobie_B
Contributor - Level 1

The adapter is an excellent idea for a convenience feature.  I think I'll order one online.  They're about a buck.

0 Likes