Data loophole?
mitt02
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently ordered a iphone 5 and I know I have to lose my unlimited data. Just got a email saying it will be here wed so I started to really think of a way to keep my unlimited without paying retail. I am on a plan of 3 phones. Im the only one that has unlimited and the other phone that has data has the 2gb limit. I was thinking what if I put the iphone5 on the plan with the 2gb for a week or 2 then take it off and switch it to my plan. Would this allow me to keep my data as it would be like I bought the phone outright?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Data loophole?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which line did you order the iPhone 5 on?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Data loophole?
mitt02
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well my line isnt due till dec but I used the other one(transfered it to my line) I was thinking this would be the only thing stopping me from doing this. But shouldnt really matter what line it goes one. Would it?

0 Likes
matthewjkaris

I will trade you my iPhone 5 since I am on month to month. You take the 5, you're automatically unlimited no questions. can you kick me back that privilege too?

0 Likes
mitt02
Enthusiast - Level 1

Im not sure how I feel about sending a stranger my phone without having one in return.. If you were local to pa and could meet up them maybe.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you ordered the phone under the line with the unlimited data plan at the subsidized price, the unlimited data plan is gone. You have to select the tiered data plans for that line.

Line A has the unlimited data plan and is eligible for an upgrade. Even if you transfer the upgrade to Line B, the contract extension occurs on Line A and thus eliminates the unlimited data plan from Line A.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
davidgibas
Enthusiast - Level 2

(Deleted duplicate post, same information already posted on this discussion: https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/785605)

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator (M)

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you all for your suggestion. I appreciate you taking the time to help out.

@mitt02,

I bet you're excited to get your brand new iPhone 5. I'm jealous! I want one too.

If you ordered the phone on one of your lines that is on the tiered data you can activate it on that line and then switch it to your line with the unlimited data plan. This will allow you to keep the unlimited data plan because you are not upgrading and accepting a discount on the line with the unlimited data plan. The only way you would lose the unlimited data plan is by upgrading the line with the unlimited data plan and accepting a discount on the device.

Hope this answers your question.

John B

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Nyobie_B
Contributor - Level 1

I'm glad to see someone from Verizon state the instructions how the Unlimited Data Plan can be kept. 

The VZ Site has a link which allows the user to sit in the comfort of his home or office and activate phone lines on his account.  Just go to the VZ site and go to My Verizon, Activate or Switch Device and follow the instructions.

I have two 4G phones and I like to switch between them.  They're both Android phones in my case.  Since I learned about the ability to do this swap, I started exploring other phone options available for me to do the same since two of my lines are on the grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan.

Good luck mitt02!

0 Likes
mitt02
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow thats great. So how long do I have to leave it on the other line before I switch it to mine?

0 Likes