Re: Data Usage accruing while on WiFi?
JHA123
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am first time smartphone user - got the iPhone 5C. My son has had a 4S for over a year and had none of these issues, used very little data never went over...  I found out why I hate smart phones very quickly - despite being an IT professional for over 24 years, these phones are smarter than me. They somehow always use data while I'm sleeping and connected to my WIFI. I have called verizon every day for past week since owning this phone trying to get rid of phantom data charges. Seems the only way is to turn off cellular data manually once I'm in a wifi zone... What a horrible design Apple has given us!  I was nearly out of data by day 3 so I am just leaving cellular data "off" until I clear my next cycle. I would have expected Verizon to credit me back my 2 gig - but they would not.  I also notice when I get in and out of my car, I get data usage.  Nobody really knows why, but suffice to say i have disabled  just about every feature that a smart phone would give me so what is the point of even having one?  Things sure were a lot simpler when all we had were land lines and excessive long distance charges to battle. At least with those, we knew what caused long distance charges - our own usage!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want you to enjoy your iPhone 5c JHA123! Have you checked the usage on your My Verizon online account here http://bit.ly/xB4iTc to view dates and time or are you viewing the usage on your device? Prior to turning off cellular data have you observed the device to identify if the wifi is disconnecting? Have you checked your email outbox to ensure an email isn't stuck trying to send? Please ensure you are running software 7.0.4 (11B554a) in Settings>General. Please share. Thank you.

TominqueBo_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JacquieMS
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is when I have noticed my iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 usage as well: during the night when I'm in my wifi area, but also just at random times while at home in wifi area. Our usage was HIGHEST last month (December) when all our cell phones were HOME during holiday vacations which makes no sense. I now have had to adopt the practice of manually turning OFF cellular data anytime I am in a wifi zone. Very inconvenient.

Sent from my iPhone

JHA123
Enthusiast - Level 3

Look - it's obvious to me ( a 24 year IT professional) that there is a scam here (or very bad defect). I know how to control my cellular data, both a a macro and a micro level. I pay extra for unlimited texting, and that included multi-media with my old "dumb" phone. Now that I am forced to use a data plan with my new iPhone5C, there is a major overlap between the old way I could get MMS messages to send/receive within my regular texting plan, but now it's forced to use "cellular data". I was also recently told that just because I have cellular data turned on - in order to start sending and receiving MMS messages, it still counts toward my regular "unlimitted texting" plan and won't really use any of my 2G data. Well that's total bunk, as an experiment I left cellular turned "off" for 24 hours, and did not incur any more phantom cellular charges (thankfully). At 11:36 am today, I turned it back "on" (not connected to wifi either) and voila - 8 MMS messages came across immediately, and when I just checked my data usage details, THEY CHARGED ME .31 MB of data!!!    So now Verizon and /or Apple have created a way that has us over a barrel.  Why is this so hard for Verizon to understand?  If i leave cellular data "off" to avoid data charges and only turn it on when i want to access the web, I am limiting myself to text message from all my friends I used to get with my old "dumb" phone!!!    THIS IS A SCAM - IT HAS TO BE RESOLVED.   I may investigate if this is an acceptable business practice or is it in some violation? A violation of our trust it surely is!  I challenge Verizon to show me a way i can still use my unlimitted texting plan and still send and receive any type of messages a standard phone could handle - WITHOUT USING DATA ON MMS MESSAGES!!!     

This is either a very insidious way to make more $ and hope nobody notices, or complete incompetance in the R&D, marketing, and customer experience departments.

Not applicable

(Quote)

I challenge Verizon to show me a way i can still use my unlimited texting plan and still send and receive any type of messages a standard phone could handle - WITHOUT USING DATA ON MMS MESSAGES!!! 

(/Quote)

If you have unlimited text and picture messaging then its free to send and receive. iPhone's that use iMessage do not go through Verizon's servers. However a point I am not really sure on is if there is a data charge. Since my iPhone uses so very little and I send MMS and texts all the time hundreds per month I am not seeing any huge data hits.

I sent a few videos yesterday and it was negligible in data use. I also use WiFi every chance I can. But alas I am still on the unlimited data so I never really cared.

I will however scour the net to see if Verizon does charge data against your plan for picture and video and text messages.

Good Luck

0 Likes
kllavas
Enthusiast - Level 3

I also have an IT background but unfortunately it becomes a little irrelavant when dealing with Verizon . Plain and simple; in order to control your phantom data usage, you must turn off the mobile data setting on your phone. My household has both Apple and Android devices and this issue exists with both, leaving the common denominator to blame (Verizon). After many various excuses and remedies from customer service reps, the only one that seemed to hold any truth is "If your device determines that the 4G network is providing a better signal, your device will automatically switch to that stronger signal for improved performance." I asked why the wifi indicator remains on during this change and was told it does so because the wifi signal is available and the device will "try" it first. Even with mobile data turned off, some devices have a setting that will automatically connect to 4G if you lose your wifi (while streaming for example) so you really have to dig through all of your settings.

Sidenote: The very first time I called about this issue the rep told me that the only way to completely avoid erroneous data usage was to put my phone in airplane mode when not in use.

0 Likes
JHA123
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh there definitely is a data charge if you send/receive MMS on a smart phone- any smart phone (Verizon just confirmed for me). Turning off cellular data will prevent you from sending/receiving them. Just got off phone with Verizon again and my complaint is 100% accurate and they are logging a formal complaint. I requested it go all the way to the top (laughable I know) but this is a very unfair business practice. I used to truly have "unlimitted MMS/SMS messaging" and now I am forced to pay an extra $30 a month for a smart phone and nowhere was it stated that I would lose unlimitted MMS (that it would suck up my data instead).  I smell a better business bureau call or possible class action lawsuit.

JHA123
Enthusiast - Level 3

do you consider .31 MBs for 8 MMS messages nothing?  It all adds up - thats what I just got hit with in order to receive messags from friends I used to get for "free" within my unlimitted texting plan. I am surprised there isn't more of a national outcry over this.

kllavas
Enthusiast - Level 3

I also have an IT background but unfortunately it becomes a little irrelavant when dealing with Verizon . Plain and simple; in order to control your phantom data usage, you must turn off the mobile data setting on your phone. My household has both Apple and Android devices and this issue exists with both, leaving the common denominator to blame (Verizon). After many various excuses and remedies from customer service reps, the only one that seemed to hold any truth is "If your device determines that the 4G network is providing a better signal, your device will automatically switch to that stronger signal for improved performance." I asked why the wifi indicator remains on during this change and was told it does so because the wifi signal is available and the device will "try" it first. Even with mobile data turned off, some devices have a setting that will automatically connect to 4G if you lose your wifi (while streaming for example) so you really have to dig through all of your settings.

Sidenote: The very first time I called about this issue the rep told me that the only way to completely avoid erroneous data usage was to put my phone in airplane mode when not in use.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yes a friend of mine (Thanks RC) explained the data usage. My iPhone is mainly BLUE when I send so its going through as a data charge. but when on GREEN it comes from my unlimited TEXT-Picture Messaging. Not chargeable.

However I see KB not MB or GB as usage. in my stats. Strange it uses so much for you.

0 Likes