Can I still text anyone from iMessage users to other smart phone users without turning on my cell data?
Kulrahm
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been trying to text my boyfriend's iPhone 5c with my cell, (iPhone 5s), data turned off, but it seems to come through better with my cell data on. Why is that? I don't need cell data to text people, do I?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I still text anyone from iMessage users to other smart phone users without turning on my cell data?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have the send as SMS option turned on in your iPhone? Picture MMS messages will need a cellular data connection to send the message. Regular SMS doesn't need data to send.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

Re: Can I still text anyone from iMessage users to other smart phone users without turning on my cell data?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have the send as SMS option turned on in your iPhone? Picture MMS messages will need a cellular data connection to send the message. Regular SMS doesn't need data to send.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Kulrahm
Enthusiast - Level 1

Oh, no. I checked Messages in the Settings and turned it on. Thanks, it should work now.

But it says, "Send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable. Carrier messaging rates may apply."

I signed up for a plan with unlimited texting. So, I won't be charged for texting, correct?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kulrahm

Great question! With an unlimited texting plan, you can send domestic SMS without any extra charges. Which plan do you have currently?

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes