Re: Anyone who activated iPhone 5 on upgrade line and tried to switch to another line and got a 24 hour wait?
iDroid
Contributor - Level 3

My phone was NOT active on the original upgrade line all day yesterday once it was first activated out of box we took the phone off the line since the phone was not meant for that number.

0 Likes
Re: Anyone who activated iPhone 5 on upgrade line and tried to switch to another line and got a 24 hour wait?
Olivia
Enthusiast - Level 3

iDroid - so the iphone that was activated on a dummy line, do I need to find a dumb phone first, activate it on the dummy line, then I will be able to switch my iphone from that dummy line to my current number? I've been looking all over my house for my dumb phone and I can't find it!

0 Likes
iDroid
Contributor - Level 3

The Verizon rep who activated it fresh out the box removed it right after activation I do not know how to de activate manually.

0 Likes
iDroid
Contributor - Level 3

No the 5 was activated on the original upgraded phone number then de activated from that number and the old phone was put back on the number. So basically the phone got activated on the line then removed and replaced back by the phone that was on that number before 5 activated on that number.

0 Likes
Olivia
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay. Waited 24 hours, called customer service. They could not switch it because I have to wait for my new sim card which will not arrive till Tuesday. I did get them to go ahead and take off the iPhone 5 and add a fake dumb phone on that line, so right now my iphone has no number, just waiting till I get my sim card now. Really tempted to cut my micro sim from my droid razr down to a nano sim. Still thinking about it, may do it.

0 Likes
iDroid
Contributor - Level 3

Try to activate it through my verizon with the info on the order slip. But again my 5 was not active for about 18 hours or so untill 6:30 am when I activated it through my verizon.

0 Likes
klypse

I just hit the 24 hour mark about 30 minutes ago. I went on the website and changed my device to my iPhone 5. My cellular network was active in just 2 minutes and I am able to text and browse. I am finally a happy unlimited data iPhone 5 user!

Phone ID is on the box as IMEI and you can find your sim card # by opening the sim tray with a paper clip or earring.  Many people said it was on a receipt, but since I did an alternate upgrade, I got the numbers for the phone that I switched the line BACK to.

Good luck everyone!

0 Likes
kocor321

It's unbelievable that they are doing this to customers.  None of us were informed when we ordered the phones that it wouldn't be possible to easily swap lines, in fact I didn't even know the phone contained a sim card.

0 Likes
Schnauzer
Contributor - Level 1

It was easy to upgrade on one line and transfer to a second line. You needed to get a knowledgeable rep who was able to quickly do it online without the need for first activating the alternate line. Once I got a rep who knew what she was doing, it took all of about 10 minutes to activate the phone.  Verizon could have saved themselves a great deal of trouble by publishing the procedure to all reps.  I have my unlimited intact, the basic line that had the upgrade shows a 2-year contract with NO data package. No problem. My mother-in-law likes her basic phone so the 2-year agreement is moot.

Why can't these big companies get their act together?

0 Likes
yr2615
Contributor - Level 1

Hi Olivia, the way I deactivated it was by going on to My Verizon and activating an old dumb phone on that line. That renders the iPhone 5 inactive. I'm pretty sure reps have a way of deactivating without activating another phone on that line. But I didn't want to have to call them yet again.  I deactivated so that I could try to activate it myself on the correct line through My Verizon, as others seemed to have done successfully. But I got the message that my request couldn't be completed at this time and to try again later. I just tried about an hour ago, still nothing. The 24 hours is up at 5:45 pm so I'll report back at the time hopefully with good news...

0 Likes