Re: Accessive data usage on iPhone 5??!
OutragedToo
Enthusiast - Level 2

We don't even own a jetpack and our two phones go through a month's worth of data in two days. What's their excuse for that?

0 Likes
OutragedToo
Enthusiast - Level 2

You signed your right to join a class action away the day you signed a contract with Verizon or any cell carrier for that matter. You can thank our "conservative" Supreme Court for that one.

news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-57403475-266/why-you-cant-sue-your-wireless-carrier-in-a-class-action/

0 Likes
JennyMGr
Enthusiast - Level 3

THIS IS POSTED ON AN APPLE DISCUSSION BOARD

Oct 29, 2013 6:34 PM

We recently upgraded my daughter's phone from a Samsung to an iPhone 5, originally running iOS 6, now running iOS 7.  The Samsung (Android) phone used less than .5 MB per month, whereas the iPhone 5 will consume that much data in one day.  About 80% of the phone's usage is on WiFi, and is only actively used on the cellular network less than an hour a day.  However, the phone and the Verizon data usage log show data being consumed even when connected continously to wifi.

With help from a Verizon representative, we turned off location services, closed all background apps and stopped automatic updates and refreshes, shut off icloud, email, and anything else that could possibly be running in the background or consuming data.  The changes didn't do anything to slow the usage, and the Verizon reps suggested that my daughter was secretly using her phone in the middle of the night to play games and watch movies. At Verizon's recommendation, we signed up for parental controls, and set them to prevent the phone from being used during the school day, and at night.  However, the phone and Verizon continue to show data use in tiny increments 24 hours per day.  These post in the Verizon data usage logs about every 10 minutes, and are typically 10-20KB.

Using the parental controls, I set a hard data stop each week so that we could meter her data out over a month's time and prevent overages.  It is supposed to stop all data usage on the phone once she reaches a preset limit.  She would usually hit the 1GB limit in a day or two, but the phone and Verizon's data usage log show that the phone continues to bleed data 24 hours per day even after the limit is reached and she is unable to use her phone.  Verizon can offer no explanation.

In addition to the data bleed, the actual data usage for virtually any activity that required data is substantially higher than what I would see for the same use on my iPhone 4s.  For example, a couple of youtube videos played on her iPhone 5 resulted in 0.8GB being used in just a few minutes, vs about 50MB on my 4s for the same videos.  Verizon seems to suggest that this is due to the higher resolution and speed, but it seems excessive.

Here's a Youtube video I found that seems to show our exact issue.  We've done similar tests on our phone, with the same results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9AR2rEFcKk

Although it is frequently suggested that the "fix" for this problem is to turn off cellular, that hardly addresses the problem.  It would also mean we have purchased a very expensive iPod.

Is there anyone who can help us address this issue?  Verizon has been no help, and does not acknowledge this as an ongoing problem, despite the fact that there are countless articles, blogs, and videos online about the very same issue.  We have tried a number of the "fix" recommendations we've found online, but thus far have had no success.

rcschnoor
Legend

Although the person posting on the Apple forum MAY have unexplained high data usage on their iPhone, the ~20kb every 10 minutes would NOT account for it.

If you do the math, you can have 20kb used on the phone EVERY 10 minutes of the day and it would only amount to under 3MB in  a day. If you multiply that by 30 days in a month, it only adds it to less than 0.1 GB in a month. It is more likely the poster does not completely understand how much data he is using OR how much data he is being charged for using.  Additionally, I find it hard to believe the Samsung (android) phone ONLY used less than .5 MB per month. Possibly .5 GB per month, but .5 MB per month is kind of unrealistic unless data was turned off completely.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Additionally, that poster states the iPhone will use .5 MB in a day. Who cares? That adds up to 15 MB in a month. EVEN if the phone is on the LOWEST data tier, it would come nowhere near to getting close to going over the allowance at that rate. So in other words, there would be no overages.

0 Likes
hmerryy
Enthusiast - Level 1

This has been happening on my daughter's iPhone 5 also. This is ridiculous. I even upped my data to avoid overcharges and it just keeps getting worse. If the software update fixes it then I hope they have enough integrity to refund.

0 Likes
my73dollys
Contributor - Level 1

I haven't heard of any software update to fix the problem. If you have,

please let me know.

0 Likes
hmerryy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Some people in the forum are saying that if you update to iOS 7 that will fix the problem. I don’t know yet if that will do it. We are trying it right now.

Heather

Private info removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
jsczeb
Enthusiast - Level 3

As a owner of 2 iphone 5's, one on the most current IOS 7 software and the other on IOS 6.1.3 I have found that the device with LTE turned on all the time has issues with data usage regardless of what's turned on or off with email or app updates. This device also experiences the mysterious 6 hour data leak around the clock....

On the other hand, the device without LTE turned on, never has any mysterious data usage intervals in 6 hour increments and rarely approaches 1 GB per month..

It's my opinion that the issue with 6 hour data usage intervals revolves around the LTE portion of the VZW network

my73dollys
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you for that information. * I will try & turn off the 4GLyte & see if

that helps reduce data usage.*

0 Likes